Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I am still undecided as to what breeds to get, heritage dual breed heavy, and if I should consider getting them local if possible or from an hatchery. I also have the option of incubating or using a brooder. Any input?

I am still undecided as to what breeds to get, heritage dual breed heavy, and if I should consider getting them local if possible or from an hatchery. I also have the option of incubating or using a brooder. Any input?

I'm doubting you will find any heritage blood line birds from a hatchery source~only heritage type breeds~ so you might focus on local breeders in your area for getting started on breeds you choose. It's a good idea to stick with breeds that do well in your climate so you aren't fighting an uphill battle from the beginning.

Yellowhouse farm, call ducks, hellbender, or ? I need advice now, please.
It's subzero here and I realized the birds need more than I gave them tonight. I is much colder than I thought it was going to be tonight. I am making a warm mash for them from canned spinach, stone ground white corn meal ,and old fashioned rolled oats. What consistency should it be? Right now it is 3 cups rolled oats, one cup corn meal and one can of spinach. with one cup of water. This is for 10 birds aged 8 mos. to 22 months.
Thanks for you help,
Karen
I feed a warm mash every day, once it starts getting cold. I make mine very thick, roughly the consistency of very thick oatmeal. The main thing is to have it warm.

If you have some cracked corn...that will help with heat-building in their systems.

If you want to call me, I'll PM my phone number.

Last edited:
we don't have roosts. they sleep in the chips. I added about 1/8 cup olive oil. Ok to feed that way?
So right now the warm mash is 3 cups rolled oats, 3 cups milk, 2 cups white corn meal, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 can canned spinach. It is a thick, gooey cooked oatmeal consistency. Does that sound about right to feed my Sussex?
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
we don't have roosts. they sleep in the chips. I added about 1/8 cup olive oil. Ok to feed that way?
So right now the warm mash is 3 cups rolled oats, 3 cups milk, 2 cups white corn meal, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 can canned spinach. It is a thick, gooey cooked oatmeal consistency. Does that sound about right to feed my Sussex?
Thanks,
Karen

What do you usually feed them?

Thanks,
Karen

I don't know what your goal is with the warm mash but whatever warmth if provides immediately will be fleeting and then they will be facing the cold temps the same as if they never had it. This info might help put your mind at ease about the temps. As long as they are receiving balanced nutrition, have shelter and are in reasonably good health, they should do just fine in the subzero temps we will be getting.

Quote: Birds allowed free access to their environment also rely on behavioral thermoregulation. This means they will seek out the most energy efficient means of maintaining their body
temperature such as feather ruffling, drinking water, moving into the shade or sun (or heat source), huddling and lying down.

The major advantage of endothermy over ectothermy is decreased vulnerability to fluctuations in external temperature. Regardless of location (and hence external temperature), endothermy maintains a constant core temperature for optimum enzyme activity. Endotherms control body temperature by internal homeostatic mechanisms. In mammals two separate homeostatic mechanisms are involved in thermoregulation - one mechanism increases body temperature, while the other decreases it. The presence of two separate mechanisms provides a very high degree of control. This is important because the core temperature of mammals can be controlled to be as close as possible to the optimum temperature for enzyme activity.

Back
Top Bottom