Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Karen, I would still bring up the issue to the breeder. Maybe it was something that he fixed some time ago and now it is manifesting it self again; or this is new and he needs to know about it. THe good breeders like Walt B are forthright, and as such he would want to know you have a concern-- he does not entrust his birds to just anyone . . . .
Yes, I need to talk to Walt B. He will explain things. I just hate to contact him and tell him the pullets didn't work out the way we hoped. Tho the males certainly did.
Best,
Karen

Yes, I need to talk to Walt B. He will explain things. I just hate to contact him and tell him the pullets didn't work out the way we hoped. Tho the males certainly did.
Best,
Karen

I think it's interesting that the males turned out well. It seems there was discussion earlier this year about the influence of each parent on the opposite sex chicks. If the pairing worked well for males and not for females, does that highlight something important about the hen?

I think it's interesting that the males turned out well. It seems there was discussion earlier this year about
the influence of each parent on the opposite sex chicks. If the pairing worked well for males and not for females, does that highlight something important about the hen?
I don't know, Pozees, It must mean something .
idunno.gif

There is so much sex-linked stuff in poultry. It's really confusing to me.
he.gif

Karen
I am thinking it points the finger at the dams of the pullets bringing something forward
which nether Walt B. nor I knew about? Since the male is Reserve Ch. quality and his
sire is 3x APA Grand Ch. Tho, Pullet B's dam is a Reserve Ch. .

Last edited:
Quote: Karen, I have a line of sheep that I have bred for over 25 years now. A couple years ago a bizzare problem developed-- dislocated hips. As a dog person I know you know exactly what I am talking about. THe ball and socket was not forming corectly. THe next season I had 2 lambs. Somewhere in the distant past the gene(s) were introduced and bred forward, and with line breeding the genes finally manifested itself as a physical trait. In this case a lethal. I had two choices how to deal with it.

At least in the case of your girls, this is not a serious situation. It clearly has you concerned, and as a dedicated breeder trying to learn your craft on these lovely lt sussex, I understand your upset.

Karen, I have a line of sheep that I have bred for over 25 years now. A couple years ago a bizzare problem developed-- dislocated hips. As a dog person I know you know exactly what I am talking about. THe ball and socket was not forming corectly. THe next season I had 2 lambs. Somewhere in the distant past the gene(s) were introduced and bred forward, and with line breeding the genes finally manifested itself as a physical trait. In this case a lethal. I had two choices how to deal with it.

At least in the case of your girls, this is not a serious situation. It clearly has you concerned, and as a dedicated breeder trying to learn your craft on these lovely lt sussex, I understand your upset.
Thanks, Arielle,
I have been thinking and calculating. All three in the foundation have the same sire. But the girls(same dam) and the boy have different dams. If the problems showing in the pullets do no manifest in the sire line, then by breeding the best pullets back to the sire, I may be able to push this back to a "carrier" state. Cock A/B ex pullet A/C= A + 1/2B + 1/2C. Thus back-cross of F1 to sire A/B would yield A/B ex 1A + 1/2B + 1/2C = 1A + 3/4B + 1/4C (backcross F1 to A/B cock)This takes C back from 1/2 influence to 1/4 influence and increases cock A/ B influence to 3/4 influence. Now this is "Percentage Of Line Inheritance" work. Because of the sex-linked genes in poultry, I believe it is best used for extrapolating, not planning; for estimating art instead of science in breeding. Nevertheless, I believe it has a place as part of making ones "best guess" about a breeding. I just do not know how "sticky" a genetic feature like "cushions" is.
What I really need is some strict female family inbreeding on a couple of stunning pullets, sigh.
Best,
Karen

I don't know, Pozees, It must mean something .
idunno.gif

There is so much sex-linked stuff in poultry. It's really confusing to me.
he.gif

Karen
I am thinking it points the finger at the dams of the pullets bringing something forward
which nether Walt B. nor I knew about? Since the male is Reserve Ch. quality and his
sire is 3x APA Grand Ch. Tho, Pullet B's dam is a Reserve Ch. .
Karen, you cannot breed show records ! You must look at, and breed the birds, regardless of show wins.Condensing the gene pool calls for using similar types, and virtues to be successful.Similar faults must be avoided.No good breeding a crow headed bird to a good headed one, just because the crow headed bird had a rich and famous sire, or dam. I've found that breeding birds is a very liberating thing. If the AKC saw my chicken pedigrees, I'd be run out. Breed the BIRDS, not pieces of paper !

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like you need to make some choices. ( ANd I bet you have not contacted the breeder yet either, lol) In my flock of sheep I knew I was dealing with a recessive. Add a new ram and voila, the recessive gene is back to a heterozygous and cannot become a problem.

You may need a lesser related cckl to fix this OR hatch a good number of chicks and see what you get. THen select the best. THey ARE cheaper to feed than puppies.
big_smile.png

Try posting at your local feed store to find the folks that do the butchering-- the guy at my feed store knows everyone locally.

Back
Top Bottom