Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I have almost (97%) resigned myself to the fact that it is not going to happen. It is more important for me to stay here. My family needs my support. I haven't been able to bring myself to cancel my hotel reservations or to call Duane, yet, but I will before or on Monday.

Nobody in my IRL family or friends knows or understands how disappointed I am. They can't begin to understand, but I know you all do. I have already bought five breeder Silver Campines from Urch who is planning to deliver them to Ohio. I have them entered in the show so that I can have them judged and use that info to help me get started on pairings and such. This has been nearly two years in the making beginning with deciding on that breed, researching what few sources there are in the US, clearing wooded land and building a new breeder barn, and planning and prep for the 10 - 12 hour drive up and then hauling them back. I was so excited about the only chance I will probably ever have to go to a show that big (close to 6000 birds) since we have nothing to compare to that in the south. I know of no one else in Alabama that is going. It will be easier on everyone, I think, to just have Duane ship them to me when it is convenient.

I feel a bit guilty for grieving over missing that show when my Dad and my family are the most important considerations and everything else, work, rest, and chicken shows, are a very distant second. But I know you all understand.

I am so grateful for all the prayers for my Dad. Prayer works.
Awh, bless you heart. Sure we understand. Perhaps Duane can ship them to you right from the show. I'm sure there will be vendors at the show selling poultry transport boxes. Either Horizon or Boxesforbirds.com . Hey, they may come with ribbons or a trophy!! Now you have something to sit on pins and needles about! Hee, hee.
You know, if your relative is awake and or appreciate fowl, you could make a nice 8x10 color pic of Silver Campines. Tell him you have birds just like this and have entered them in one of the most important poultry shows in the USA. That it is next weekend. You know he could probably use something to look forward to also, smile. When my puppy buyer took a pup of my breeding to the National, It was always an exciting waiting game to see Who (or if) won what, VBG. Maybe you will win something and Duane can ship you the ribbons to share with your Dad?!?
There is always next year. Cancel your reservations and put the money in a vacation fund for another big show. My trip to the Ohio show is hanging by a thread depending on how much it costs to pump the septic system. I am hoping my trip literally doesn't' get flushed down the toilet.
Take care .
Warm Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
Here is a little update on our show to be held at LSU next Saturday November 9th.

We have over 730 birds entered.
Just over 200 Lg Fowl.
Just over 400 Bantams
Right at 100 Jr entries.
And something like 35 Water Fowl!

It's going to be a great first show for our club!!!! Hope to see and meet some of you there!

Chris

Congratulations on such a good number of entries; and wish you a very successful show! Looking forward to seeing the show photos.

Lual

Awh, bless you heart. Sure we understand. Perhaps Duane can ship them to you right from the show. I'm sure there will be vendors at the show selling poultry transport boxes. Either Horizon or Boxesforbirds.com . Hey, they may come with ribbons or a trophy!! Now you have something to sit on pins and needles about! Hee, hee.
You know, if your relative is awake and or appreciate fowl, you could make a nice 8x10 color pic of Silver Campines. Tell him you have birds just like this and have entered them in one of the most important poultry shows in the USA. That it is next weekend. You know he could probably use something to look forward to also, smile. When my puppy buyer took a pup of my breeding to the National, It was always an exciting waiting game to see Who (or if) won what, VBG. Maybe you will win something and Duane can ship you the ribbons to share with your Dad?!?
There is always next year. Cancel your reservations and put the money in a vacation fund for another big show. My trip to the Ohio show is hanging by a thread depending on how much it costs to pump the septic system. I am hoping my trip literally doesn't' get flushed down the toilet.
Take care .
Warm Regards,
Karen
Karen,
What a wonderful idea on the photo etc.etc.
smile.png

Is this typical silkie behavior??

DIdn't BOb have a silkie, mr . ______? Was this what Bob was up to??  He said something about using that rooster to make half breds to be broodies, as I remember . . . 

I only have two Silkie hens, but one or the other always seems to be broody. They are both excellent mamas as well.

Both the BO and the sussex are old English breeds. Is that a clue to the excellent fall laying??
One of the base breeds they share.

Henderson's chicken chart has a snow flake on the chart for both of them. That makes them Winter layers like Buckeye and Rocks--Great American Breeds.

Both the BO and the sussex are old English breeds. Is that a clue to the excellent fall laying??
I think it is a cultural timing coincidence. Just like we plan to have lots of Turkeys nationally for Thanksgiving,
they planned to have lots of roasted poultry for Derby Day. In order to have those Derby Day fowl,
they needed to have winter layers.
Best,
Karen

One of the base breeds they share.

Henderson's chicken chart has a snow flake on the chart for both of them. That makes them Winter layers like Buckeye and Rocks--Great American Breeds.
Five of my 11 hens have been laying steadily for 11 months.Summer heat never phased them either.A couple tried to go broody this fall. Two days in a broody coop, and they were back to laying. I guess eggs = a "get out of jail free card " here.

Five of my 11 hens have been laying steadily for 11 months.Summer heat never phased them either.A couple tried to go broody this fall. Two days in a broody coop, and they were back to laying. I guess eggs = a "get out of jail free card " here.

For my layer flock, I am trying to get breeds that lay in the heat and winter along with some of the fancy colored egg layers.

I need to get some more rocks. I have a couple of Partridge Rocks but could use more in the winter.

Australorps are not phased by the heat or cold either. They are very steady layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom