Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

If I do show any, I'd like to enter them in my son's name. He is 15 and is the one that helps me with them. Can he (being 15) enter in the open class or does he have to enter as a junior? I'd prefer the open class if its "legal" by show rules

THANKS

Each show is a bit different. Out here in the west the juniors show against the adults, but also have their own show for juniors only. I have been beaten many times by kids out here.......lol

w.

I know that you pros keep your show birds in conditioning pens (without wire) prior to being shown. If you cage train right before a show, is there a risk of them shredding their feathers on the cage?

Can you cage train a bird before going into the conditioning pen, to eliminate any feather damage?

Congrats to Walt and Laura on your wins!

Yes, there is. You should get them used to the cage the first time long enough ahead of time to have feathers grow back. Some breeds take a long time, so I just let them do what they are going to do and hope I have enough time to get feathers back in for the important shows. I show several breeds of waterfowl that can only be trained by going to a show and breaking some feathers a few times. Mallards and Runners are two that come to mind. They are pretty crazy in a cage.

w.

Greetings!

I returned late last night from the Ohio National and had a wonderful experience--too much to cram into a quick message. I had the pleasure of meeting several folks from this page, and it was wonderful to visit. It was wonderful to be surrounded by so many excellent birds.

There was a huge sadness......there were no large fowl Hamburgs in the open show....none...not one....

I find shows to be like going to an old-fashioned spiritual revival. I return with renewed focus and clarity of purpose. Coming away from this, our largest and most prestigious American poultry show, I am refreshed but also very aware that we really do need folks to graduate from the, "I just have hens Bessie and Bittie for eggs that are just so cute" stage to one that is grounded concretely in APA/ABA culture. We need folks to take the plunge and adopt a breed as their breed. I say "we", but "we" means "they". They need breeders. They need hardcore, serious breeders that are going to hatch, weigh, select, and cull, cull, cull. They need breeders who aren't going to lose in in committee or become embroiled in excuses. That there were only 4 Minorcas, no, Hamburgs, no Andalusians, no Buttercups, no Houdans, no Lakenvelders, no White-Faced Black Spanish, no Crevecoeurs, no Redcaps, etc.... is a tragedy.

Let's really kick it up. If you still haven't chosen your breed, there's much food for thought.
There were several of those black birds with the white round puff of feathers in their heads.
Karen

Yellow House,

When you are doing a coop line up for selection, which size are you using?

I would like to implement this and don't know what size to purchase.
Ordering the same size for easy/uniform storage of multiple coops would work for me.

This one?
Keipper Cooping Co.
No. 1A Single Coop

http://keippercooping.com/poulty.htm
I talked to the Kriepper folk at the Columbus show. Asked which size was right for adult Light Sussex.
They said the 1A which can hold 2 birds(or take out the divider for one large coop). $44.45
Best,
karen

Really? Good info. Thanks Karen

My next question:
Where does one purchase (sorry I don't know what they are called) transporting coops for traveling with fowl to the shows. I saw some interesting ones made of wood that have sliding doors and multiple slots for birds.

I know that you pros keep your show birds in conditioning pens (without wire) prior to being shown. If you cage train right before a show, is there a risk of them shredding their feathers on the cage?

Can you cage train a bird before going into the conditioning pen, to eliminate any feather damage?

Congrats to Walt and Laura on your wins!
Thanks! It's always a wonderful show, love seeing all my friends.

One of the things you can do, to avoid feather damage, is to use plastic embroidery canvas to line the inside of the cages. It's tedious to do (I use small zip ties) but eliminates that hazard.

I entered the pair I purchased from Urch. But not to actually show them. Only to house them. Bill ended up bringing something like 14 birds. One made it to champion row for junior(one of the Cockerels I purchased). The breast shape on them is phenomenal in my opinion. Their back width is pretty narrow, but that is something that can be easily worked with. I'm unsure of how well their egg parts are. Haven't had a really good chance to handle them just yet. Truly all his need are size and comb management. The shape of the birds is spot on.
Interesting. I am glad to have another person I can commune working on the exact two breeds I am.

Mine have been pretty good egg layers. For their body size, they lay a huge egg. I bet the same holds true for yours.

Everything about SIZE seems to be the main issue.

Really? Good info. Thanks Karen

My next question:
Where does one purchase (sorry I don't know what they are called) transporting coops for traveling with fowl to the shows. I saw some interesting ones made of wood that have sliding doors and multiple slots for birds.
You purchase them from the folks who specialize in making them. Vinson Workman of KY does a fine job with them. I am sure there are lots of other folks who do. Sometimes you can buy them ready-made at shows, but usually you want them to get to the show! LOL...

Back
Top Bottom