Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

We need to keep in mind that we are all hatching too few to represent a statistically accurate sample size from which to draw conclusions. While the results we see with small numbers may lend itself to a conclusion that ACV helps produce larger quantities of female offspring, Matt's analogy is dead on. IF ACV produces a larger quantity of female offspring, then why don't the large/production hatcheries invoke this practice? Same for commercial poultry applications for egg laying operations??

I don't mean to be contrary....if it works for you, then by all means employ it. However, from a strictly scientific basis (my undergrad is in engineering so I tend to be a little this way, sorry), the statistical result from a small sample size leaves too much room for inaccurate interpretation of the data

Time for coffee....sorry to have gotten on a soapbox this early on a Saturday
caf.gif

I routinely give ACV to ours for other purposes - have not seen in increase in females. It's roughly 50/50 with every hatch so far.

Who all has lights on pens? Started mine on thanksgiving on Welles and rirs.
Have had them on about a month and finally got the breeders laying again after their molt. Was going to set eggs earlier this week but decided against because of power outage predictions. No loss of power so probably will set some today.

Who is lurking on this thread and seeking to champion a Heritage Large Fowl? A breed which needs help. Pulling it back from the brink. Or wanting to join a dedicated group of fanciers who are already determined to bring a breed back to greatness like the Buckeye folk are doing? Let us know and help. Bob talked a lot about preservationists vs. just folk who breed rare breeds. That's what we do on this list. We encourage folk to become preservationists and help them find the quality stock, and the support they need to be successful. Hatchery stock will not suffice. It can take many years to bring them up to show status. Who is reading this thread and can't quite decide on their chosen breed? Ask. That is one of the purposes of this thread. We are here to help, not dissuade, or consider anyone not fit because they are beginners in poultry. We all started at one time. This thread and Bob understood that a good start with quality stock and encouragement could make or break a budding preservationist. Wondering if your chosen breed is "Heritage"? Ask. Lurker or subscriber, novice or veteran, shy or zealot, all are welcome here. Bob made this list that way.
Ask. Become a breed saver. The list of breeds which need help and preserving is way longer than it should be . Something for everyone's taste. Eggs, meat, dual purpose, ornamental. You name it, in all kinds of colors. Ask.
Best,
Karen

I have been lurking. I was trying to read through the thread but have put that off until my winter break.
I have promised myself to limit the number of breeds I keep so I only have Legbars and Marans for breeding. I have been thinking of adding a white egg layer as a 3rd breeder and have been thinking of trying something that has a bit of provenance and Heritage to it and has a history in the APA since the Legbars are a recent import and the Black Coppers only recently added to the APA. I'd like a nice large white egg to add to the breakfast basket. Something good for my northern region - I don't heat or insulate my coops. I don't use lights until late winter also so the girls can have a bit of a break if they need it. I like the look of the single comb and prefer not to have a white bird with the hawk highway I have here. And nothing gigantic. I have tried Orpingtons (Jubilees) but they were not my cup of tea ( a bit too large) but I like dual purpose like the Marans. What are some suggestions that folks would have that I should start researching? I've learnt my lessons about doing the legwork before investing in the breed. Thanks.

Last edited:
I started lights on mine 2nd week of Nov.....mine have graduated each week to more light such that they come on at 430am, off at 830am....moving it tonight to come on at 4am tomorrow and that will be my last adjustment (hopefully)
Clarify for a newbie: I though using lights was solely for increased egg production when sunlight is scarce. Does it also help in the breeding endeavor? Beyond getting more hatching eggs from your hens, of course.

Clarify for a newbie: I though using lights was solely for increased egg production when sunlight is scarce. Does it also help in the breeding endeavor? Beyond getting more hatching eggs from your hens, of course.
Lights ARE primarily for egg production. Here, sundown is around 530pm so I have adjusted light such that the birds get approx 13 hours of "light" daily....seems to be enough to stimulate egg production.

Also, studies indicate that the males require light as well for proper sperm maturation and thus proper egg fertility

Lights ARE primarily for egg production. Here, sundown is around 530pm so I have adjusted light such that the birds get approx 13 hours of "light" daily....seems to be enough to stimulate egg production.

Also, studies indicate that the males require light as well for proper sperm maturation and thus proper egg fertility
Thanks! My flock are roosted for the night by 5 p.m. at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom