Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Stand by for incoming message from Bob...

begin -

Pick one or two breeds max, and do them justice. Go slow, and go down the middle of the road.

KISS

-end message

My DS says, Thank you very much, Bob and Maggiesdad!!!

He would like advice from all of you on which breed (I'm making him keep it to one, he wants to do two b/c that's the max recommendation lol) he should start with.
He's in middle school and we live in the Deep South; he likes broodies and friendly birds and his flock needs to be confined.
I don't know what other criteria need to be considered.

He would like advice from all of you on which breed (I'm making him keep it to one, he wants to do two b/c that's the max recommendation lol) he should start with.
He's in middle school and we live in the Deep South; he likes broodies and friendly birds and his flock needs to be confined.

The are several folks that frequent this thread that are well qualified to point you to breeds suited to and flocks acclimated to the peculiarities of the deep south clime. I will defer to them! d;^))

Last edited:

Why don't you sit down with an online poultry encyclopedia and go thru it with your son? Simple colors are best. One color birds or breeds which don't require color balancing of the underfluff to get correct top color on the bird. Maybe pick your breed by silhouette instead of color. eWh birds mostly don't require color balancing in the underfluff/ Check the show results online. Many of the winners are one color birds. Something to consider. Spangled, laced, spotted, are pretty but tough to get the color right if you are breeding them. Barred can be a bit easier. The white breeds and the black breeds are stunning .

Start with simple exceptions like "what color eggs does he want them to lay. Does he want bantam or large size birds? What color legs does he want them to have? Does he want a really "fluffy" bird (soft feathered) , or one that is more streamlined (hard feathered). Does he care which type of comb the birds have? Single, pea, buttercup, V-shaped, rose, etc. Once you get these 6 questions answered you will eliminate about 60% of the choices.
Best,
Karen

Here's a Champion Bantam Cochin breeder who has winning frizzles. http://harvestbreezefarm.com/bantamcochin.html
Just for your son :
http://www.cochinsint.com/junior-news.html
and this from the same webpage : "
May, 2013 - CI Announces New Youth Breeder Development Program!​

Cochins International understands that the youth are the future of the fancy, and would like to help young breeders get off to a good start. The CI Youth Development Program will provide breeder quality birds to youth that demonstrate a desire to start or further their breeding programs of large fowl or bantam cochins. Interested youth need to apply for a breeding pair using the following rules and guidelines."​

Last edited:
Blackbirds13, I was going to suggest Minorca.  As Matt states, they are smaller than other birds.  My Black and Buff hens lay a large white egg.  They have good feed conversion.  The largest hen weighed in at 4 pounds butchered.   Their large comb does well in the Central states...might have to check that for your winter conditions.  I've not had any frostbite. Hens are still laying at 5 years of age. Can't speak to cockerels since I don't breed them.
Minorca's are the largest of the Mediterranean breeds. Cocks are 9 lbs hens 7.5 lbs. That's more than a Sussex hen.

Walt

Minorca's are the largest of the Mediterranean breeds. Cocks are 9 lbs hens 7.5 lbs. That's more than a Sussex hen.

Walt

The standard bred black Minorcas I've seen are definitely tall and large birds....beautiful IMO too. I think they have a steady temperament for being one of the 'hot' Mediterraneans too.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom