Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm curious about what makes a Minorca look different from other black breeds. I looked up images of Minorcas and most of the hens looked (to my beginner's eyes) like plain black hens. Then I found this one: Minorca show winner. Now I get it. Totally different shape. Off to look in my APA SOP to read about it. :)

note: I am merely curious, not looking for Minorcas. I already have my chosen breeds. :)

I'm curious about what makes a Minorca look different from other black breeds. I looked up images of Minorcas and most of the hens looked (to my beginner's eyes) like plain black hens. Then I found this one: Minorca show winner. Now I get it. Totally different shape. Off to look in my APA SOP to read about it. :)

note: I am merely curious, not looking for Minorcas. I already have my chosen breeds. :)
Yes they have their uniqueness to them for sure, but if I was to say the next in line to looking like a kissing cousin to the Minorca would be the Andalusian there is still a slight build/size difference and the Leghorns look more like far distant cousins from the smaller side of the family. all do look fairly relative though.
The Mediterranean Class birds have the look to them like non other than the rest of the classes. You can tell where they belong for sure.

Jeff

Last edited:
Minorcas are great. They are so hardy, they don't even need heads!
wink.png

"Hughes Headless Hen" actually stayed alive for weeks and they charged admission etc....

Minorcas of Every Comb and Color

By George H. Northup

Last edited:
That's right, I forgot about Mike but he's not a Minorca.
hide.gif

All kidding aside, the above book is a wonderful reference on the Minorca, it's egg laying abilities and it's beauty. Some claim they lay better than a Leghorn.

I like the way they move so gracefully and forage.

The answer is literally the Standard of Perfection. One of the criteria for entrance into the SOP is that the breed differ from other breeds. When one sees true Minorcas, they are unmistakable. Minorcas are very large and very noble.

There are few breeds that offer such and clear, even blatant, lesson of standard-bred vs hatchery-bred quality. To see a hatchery-bred Minorca hen besides a standard-bred Minorca hen is two see two completely different birds. Given, once you're really versed in the SOP and your eye has been trained to see the bird through the Standard, this can be said about most breeds. However, certain breeds are rudely obvious, and Minorcas are one of them.

There has been discussion that temp In the incubator could be a factor. That the female embryo is more affected by high temp than the male.
Keeping the incubator at 99.5 would be good for the female embryos. But over 100.5 would cause the female embryo to die,thus resulting
in more male chicks hatched. I should, and do not, have a reference available for this.
Best,
Karen

In this method, am I correct in thinking that the hatch rate would be decreased to mainly the eggs that had the female embroys? Not that I'm against it at all as it sure would save a lot of feed. Might not be too good for my confidence in my own incubating skills though.

Yes they have their uniqueness to them for sure, but if I was to say the next in line to looking like a kissing cousin to the Minorca would be the Andalusian there is still a slight build/size difference and the Leghorns look more like far distant cousins from the smaller side of the family. all do look fairly relative though.
 The Mediterranean Class birds have the look to them like non other than the rest of the classes. You can tell where they belong for sure.

Jeff

Closest "cousin" would probably be the White Faced Black Spanish, since at one point Minocras were called Red Faced Spanish. But yes all the Mediterranean fowl definitely have a look and style that belongs with them! Wonderful class, probably overall my favorite (it's either that or the Asiatic, but not a Cochin fan)

Who is lurking on this thread and seeking to champion a Heritage Large Fowl? A breed which needs help. Pulling it back from the brink. Or wanting to join a dedicated group of fanciers who are already determined to bring a breed back to greatness like the Buckeye folk are doing? Let us know and help. Bob talked a lot about preservationists vs. just folk who breed rare breeds. That's what we do on this list. We encourage folk to become preservationists and help them find the quality stock, and the support they need to be successful. Hatchery stock will not suffice. It can take many years to bring them up to show status. Who is reading this thread and can't quite decide on their chosen breed? Ask. That is one of the purposes of this thread. We are here to help, not dissuade, or consider anyone not fit because they are beginners in poultry. We all started at one time. This thread and Bob understood that a good start with quality stock and encouragement could make or break a budding preservationist. Wondering if your chosen breed is "Heritage"? Ask. Lurker or subscriber, novice or veteran, shy or zealot, all are welcome here. Bob made this list that way.
Ask. Become a breed saver. The list of breeds which need help and preserving is way longer than it should be . Something for everyone's taste. Eggs, meat, dual purpose, ornamental. You name it, in all kinds of colors. Ask.
Best,
Karen

Okay, I'll bite.

After years of raising assorted flocks of laying hens, I have narrowed down to six breeds. Of those six, I am currently working on standardizing two breeds -- the Crested Cream Legbar and Euskal Oiloak -- along with a small group of fanciers for each breed. The CCL is well on it's way as it is already standardized and shown in the U.K. The EO (Basque) may or may not be possible to standardize as I understand and believe it was crossed with the Penedesenca (sp?) by the original Canadian importer. There are lots of things to cull for and lots of surprises keep coming up even into the fourth generation of linebreeding. I may or may not continue with this breed after the five year mark.

For my third breed, the LF Black Langshan, I started last year with stock from Duane Urch that are nice, but not show quality. Fortunately, I was able to purchase a trio from Wil Hanley at the VPBA show in November. The fourth and fifth breeds I want to work with already have good foundations in type and numbers from dedicated breeders - Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and White Rose Comb Dorkings. Days like today reaffirm my desire to have smaller combed cock birds.

The last breed is the Swedish Flower Hen which is "just for fun" They are not standardized or recognized, but I like their variety. They will continue to range and random breed on our farm.

All of the above is plenty to keep me busy BUT there is still one breed that is truly the breed of my heart - the Mottled Houdan. I love their crisp black and white look, particularly when closest to the standard, their funny mop tops and full face upswept beards, five toes on mottled feet/shanks and their comic characters. Unfortunately, they seem to have reached that point of no return. I don't know where to find them other than hatcheries. Barb Piper was working on them years ago, but I understand she passed away and no one seems to know what happened to her stock. My original birds came from Duane Urch, but that was by lucky chance, he doesn't list them for sale anymore. The University of Arkansas is supposed to be raising them (breeding goal unknown) but they aren't available unless you visit the university to pick up a few eggs. Does anyone see them at shows anymore? Know of anyone seriously working to bring them back?

Back
Top Bottom