Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Quote:
I'm glad the Javas have been in the SOP for a long time, because there is a lot of inconsistency in what the current birds look like and I'm not sure we could get them back into the SOP with what is currently out there. When we had 17 black Javas at the last Tucson show I was thinking gee, a lot of these birds don't look all that much like Javas (some of mine included). But the judge's first comment to us was how nice it was to see a class of Javas that were immediately recognizable as Javas! Which means the other Javas that judge has seen must look even more out of whack than ours do. Yikes. We're working to get them back on track. Some of our local breeders are closer than others. My birds have a way to go yet before they will be consistent. If I could graft the head of one onto the body of another I'd be a lot closer...
tongue.png

Do you know anything about the APA?

Here is everything I know about the APA:
- They are a poultry organization (association) that standardizes specifications for poultry.
- They are non-profit or not-for-profit.

That's pretty much it, so "no" I don't know "anything" about them. I'm not pretending that I know more than you.

What I'm saying is that I have seen what a business man can do to that which is not a business. I worked for a grocery store; it was a great grocery store three times the average profit margin, etc. When the "bean counters" took over, customers quit coming, no customers means no profit, etc. That grocery store sold the location I used to work at to Publix.
I live in a state where an extremely profitable and successful business man took office and the state has been in terrible condition since then.

I don't have to know anything about the APA beyond what its intended focus is to know that shifting the focus of the organization to money will compromise its ability to focus on that which it is supposed to be all about.

No, it's not. Maybe you can contribute some of your poultry knowledge, that is what this thread is about.

Maybe you shouldn't have started a conversation about the APA in the first place if you don't think that this thread is about that.

I am a self-admitted know-absolutely-nothing about poultry, so you don't have to be disrespectful and snide like that.

Here is the best 2013 hatched pullet for me.....she will be going back in with her sire in a week or 2

Not the best photograph as I was up above her....

For those with experience in the Columbian pattern, do you have any "secrets for success" for correctly wing color. As you can see from this pix, she lacks the "fine white edging" in her wings and rather the black and white are a bit blended. I've not been too focused on color as many of you know since general type was much more important to begin with. I'm going into yr 4 and I need to begin focusing a bit on proper color pattern. Still trying to make Bob B happy that he entrusted the original trio to me!!!!

For those with experience in the Columbian pattern, do you have any "secrets for success" for correctly wing color. As you can see from this pix, she lacks the "fine white edging" in her wings and rather the black and white are a bit blended. I've not been too focused on color as many of you know since general type was much more important to begin with. I'm going into yr 4 and I need to begin focusing a bit on proper color pattern. Still trying to make Bob B happy that he entrusted the original trio to me!!!!

Yard full o' rocks,

Do you have a digital copy of "The Plymouth Rock Standard Breed Book"? It has a chapter dedicated to Columbian Rocks and how to breed them. If you don't, let me know and I'll pm you a link to download it. It was published in the early 1900's by the APA and has lots of good information on Rocks.

Yard full o' rocks,

Do you have a digital copy of "The Plymouth Rock Standard Breed Book"? It has a chapter dedicated to Columbian Rocks and how to breed them. If you don't, let me know and I'll pm you a link to download it. It was published in the early 1900's by the APA and has lots of good information on Rocks.
I do have it....THANKS

Was just looking for a specific "recipe" if anyone had positive results from a specific breeding set up

Thanks again

I do have it....THANKS

Was just looking for a specific "recipe" if anyone had positive results from a specific breeding set up

Thanks again
Seems like it was (snowbird) on here sometime back giving a lot of feedback esp in the head/neck striping area and Rob in Idaho(Rancher3535) breeding the Columbian Wyandottes for 20+ years should be able to shed some light on this subject, I figure.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm glad the Javas have been in the SOP for a long time, because there is a lot of inconsistency in what the current birds look like and I'm not sure we could get them back into the SOP with what is currently out there.  When we had 17 black Javas at the last Tucson show I was thinking gee, a lot of these birds don't look all that much like Javas (some of mine included). But the judge's first comment to us was how nice it was to see a class of Javas that were immediately recognizable as Javas!  Which means the other Javas that judge has seen must look even more out of whack than ours do.  Yikes.  We're working to get them back on track.  Some of our local breeders are closer than others.  My birds have a way to go yet before they will be consistent.  If I could graft the head of one onto the body of another I'd be a lot closer... :p
I'm glad the Javas have been in the SOP for a long time, because there is a lot of inconsistency in what the current birds look like and I'm not sure we could get them back into the SOP with what is currently out there.  When we had 17 black Javas at the last Tucson show I was thinking gee, a lot of these birds don't look all that much like Javas (some of mine included). But the judge's first comment to us was how nice it was to see a class of Javas that were immediately recognizable as Javas!  Which means the other Javas that judge has seen must look even more out of whack than ours do.  Yikes.  We're working to get them back on track.  Some of our local breeders are closer than others.  My birds have a way to go yet before they will be consistent.  If I could graft the head of one onto the body of another I'd be a lot closer... :p
you are doing the right things. Getting out there and comparing your birds will help you get to where you want to be. There is enough new interest in the breed that the quality will improve as long as interest remains

Keep doing what you are doing.....get out to shows compare your birds with what is being shown and how they place. The more Java's people see tney better it will be for the breed.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom