Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Quote: Just a short post on this. If you remember back a while we discussed the importance of having the proper undercolor in the Columbiam variety. Without the proper undercolor it is virtually impossible to get the black where it is supposed to be showing. In the primary and secondary wing feathers it helps to use a male with extra black in the wing along with good dark undercolor. I see your female has the nice Hackle feayhers going all the way to the ear hole like they are supposed. I might be able to help more if you ask any specific questions.
I have had several different Columbian color variety for close to 50 year, and have bred most at one time in large numbers for showing.

Just a short post on this. If you remember back a while we discussed the importance of having the proper undercolor in the Columbiam variety. Without the proper undercolor it is virtually impossible to get the black where it is supposed to be showing. In the primary and secondary wing feathers it helps to use a male with extra black in the wing along with good dark undercolor. I see your female has the nice Hackle feayhers going all the way to the ear hole like they are supposed. I might be able to help more if you ask any specific questions.
I have had several different Columbian color variety for close to 50 year, and have bred most at one time in large numbers for showing.
Thanks for chiming in Don it is Scott with more so the ques. than I. I do need the answers(all of them),LOL myself too but I posted your name here just to remind Scott(yardfullof raocks) whom had all that Columbian color input on here sometime back I can only remember in pieces and parts and but I remembered your callname thats pretty dadgum good for me LOL he will probly PM you if he hasn't already.

Jeff

Yard full o' rocks,

Do you have a digital copy of "The Plymouth Rock Standard Breed Book"? It has a chapter dedicated to Columbian Rocks and how to breed them. If you don't, let me know and I'll pm you a link to download it. It was published in the early 1900's by the APA and has lots of good information on Rocks.
Would you mind PM'ing me the link? Thanks.

Quote:
Hi Snowbird,
Did you ever have Light Sussex? I am trying to figure out how to move their lovely
black hackle further up the necks on mine. Am not sure eb based Columbian advice
will help my eWh based LS. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have not been able
to find any online or in books, other than "just put pressure n it". Which is good advice,
I just wondered if your experience had shown you a specific strategy.
Thanks so much,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: Karen, To start to raise the Hackle black higher I would pick the male with the highest black and breed to the female with the higher black hackle. These faults like this are mostly something that is allowed to start and not eliminating it at the beginning. This happens when someone is only worried about building the Barn and nothing else. I have a different theory on this all together.

I had light Sussex until just recently, I have raised thousands of Brahma Bantam and Large fowl, Columbian Rock and Columbian Cochins.

Karen, To start to raise the Hackle black higher I would pick the male with the highest black and breed to the female with the higher black hackle. These faults like this are mostly something that is allowed to start and not eliminating it at the beginning. This happens when someone is only worried about building the Barn and nothing else. I have a different theory on this all together.

I had light Sussex until just recently, I have raised thousands of Brahma Bantam and Large fowl, Columbian Rock and Columbian Cochins.
What is your different theory? Or is it what you just wrote above?
Thanks,
Karen

What is your different theory? Or is it what you just wrote above?
Thanks,
Karen
Karen, if I worried about building the barn only . . . I would end up in a bigger mess than I already am. I have to be mindful of color, right out of the gate. For me, that is where hatching in numbers seams to give me a chance.

I am only commenting on the situation that I am in.

Same for me. If I ignore a well laced and colored bird, it will take ages to get it back... therefore, I see type pretty well established in my flock but an Andalusian with crumby lacing is not an Andalusian... it just sort of looks like one. I would like to hear snowbird's theory and practice though as he has been doing this stuff for quite a number of years longer than I have.

Same for me. If I ignore a well laced and colored bird, it will take ages to get it back... therefore, I see type pretty well established in my flock but an Andalusian with crumby lacing is not an Andalusian... it just sort of looks like one. I would like to hear snowbird's theory and practice though as he has been doing this stuff for quite a number of years longer than I have.
In my lifetime with show Poultry I work on type always but I also will work with any other fault that I possibly can at the same time. All the genetic formulas will tell you what color fowl you should get but I have never seen where it says any thing about type. I have no use for the genetic formulas as they will not tell me anything about the poor type that it is possible to get. There is no way for a Genetic formulas to forcast all the color faults you can expect when breeding parti-colored. The very best teacher is experience. Everything involved in breeding good show type fowl is associated with averages.

Stay with one or two families of fowl as long as possible and do a lot of single mating, when needed try and bring in some fowl related to your original fowl. I single mate everything I raise, once you setup a program it isn't a bad as it looks at first.

After the original start cull anything that has a large fault and always cull the young with a DQ.

If I just worked on building the Barn the walls would fall down by the time I got everything else correct. Anything that can possibly be worked on should be added at the very first.

It is a nice snappy slogan to say "build the Barn first" but we can do better.

Back
Top Bottom