Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I am always amazed whenever the discussion of "winter laying" comes up here. Light, cold weather, durability in dual purpose fowl. The White Chantecler is never mentioned, perhaps because of the very low numbers of birds/breeders. Perhaps because it is a Canadian breed?

I became interested in the breed due to my extreme winters and living at the 46th parallel. Last year I emailed a few times with Bob, he was very supportive of this choice for my conditions, he suggested a few breeders in my area (I was already in contact with them). As luck would have it I secured some eggs from a very good line of birds from a breeder that lives only 2hrs from me. Her birds have shown very well the last couple of years.

I hatched 5 pullets and 9 cockerels last April, as soon as they were allowed on range I was impressed with their foraging and growth rate. The pullets started laying at 24 weeks and I have averaged near to 4 eggs a day since then. I do have them in a coop with other layers (Marans) and have lights on at 4am which gives me 12hrs of light this time of year. No issues with combs, no issues the cold, cloudy days at all. I plan on weighing some birds next week and will take some pictures if at all possible.

For anyone looking for a hardy bird in the cold that are good layers the White Chantecler still fits the bill as it was intended when they were introduced in 1919.

The history is available at Chantecler Fanciers International. Org

Dan B
If I lived that far north, I would be interested in Chanteclers. I kind of like the idea of considering climate when choosing a breed. Like yellow House's all rose combed birds.

Maybe. That is what I am going to try. Hatching a little later. Maybe laying for 4-5 months going into the shortest days of winter triggers the molting? That is what I am going with now, because the later hatched birds from the same parents did not go into molt.

When they are hatched matters but only in respect to breed. Actually had this discussion with someone who was claiming that the best month to hatch birds was May. Their reasoning and their classes in college were that that way the pullets would be reaching peak laying as light waning. That is the same reason I give for why I hatch Langshans in Jan and Feb. We're both right. Because they are used to dealing with hybrid egg layers which start laying at 16 weeks. I'm dealing with Langshans from lines that start laying around 28-32 weeks.

When they are hatched matters but only in respect to breed. Actually had this discussion with someone who was claiming that the best month to hatch birds was May. Their reasoning and their classes in college were that that way the pullets would be reaching peak laying as light waning. That is the same reason I give for why I hatch Langshans in Jan and Feb. We're both right. Because they are used to dealing with hybrid egg layers which start laying at 16 weeks. I'm dealing with Langshans from lines that start laying around 28-32 weeks.
I started that early with these because I started with three females. LOL. Turns out that I did not have to, but trying this breed I did not know the details.
I plan to wait longer this time, but not to long. I have the summer heat to consider.

Plus, I hear the devil in the incubator calling my name now. LOL.

I've heard very good things about the Chanteclers as well! Dan, how do they lay without supplemental lighting?

1st year Bee so can't speak from experience, however that was one of the goals when the breed was created in Quebec, I do know some flock keepers are not using lights and are happy with the production here in WI and in NH, there are others I am sure.

Ron they are on the list as "endangered" I believe the total numbers I have seen are less than 3,000 in flocks today. A fellow named Greg Oakes has almost single handily saved the breed and is pretty much the source of all the birds in the US, Sandhill has some stock not sure where those came from.

1st year Bee so can't speak from experience, however that was one of the goals when the breed was created in Quebec, I do know some flock keepers are not using lights and are happy with the production here in WI and in NH, there are others I am sure.

Ron they are on the list as "endangered" I believe the total numbers I have seen are less than 3,000 in flocks today. A fellow named Greg Oakes has almost single handily saved the breed and is pretty much the source of all the birds in the US, Sandhill has some stock not sure where those came from.
I have seen a couple of places that had them. They might be perfect for the Mountains around here in Northern California.

That's good to know. Will store that breed away in my brain case!

Ron they are on the list as "endangered" I believe the total numbers I have seen are  less than 3,000 in flocks today. A fellow named Greg Oakes has almost single handily saved the breed and is pretty much the source of all the birds in the US, Sandhill has some stock not sure where those came from.
there were a bunch shown at the Red Deer show in Alberta that I judged three weeks ago.

Walt

Ron, my background and interest is similar to yours. What little experience I have is concerning production. Somewhere along the line I decided that I wanted more. Which now means both.

I think the biggest part is deciding what interests you the most. It seams the best breeders have remained enthusiastic about their breed (s) and enjoy what they do. The more we enjoy it, the more we want to do it.

I think that either of those projects would be a fascinating project.

I do not see how you can do it without a Standard outside of production alone.

I have always enjoyed being around chickens and really like most breeds. Since I'm more comfortable with Australorps and Turkens, I think it's only logical to pick one these breeds to take to a different direction and I have the patience to carry it through.

My son has mentioned on a few occasions that he would like to perhaps get involved in showing for a hobby and since he will be coming back to the farm to live, we both agree that this is a good time to start and to use the Turkens since they are the ones that need the exposure.

There have been a few request from local FFA members for young stock to work with as their production projects. I think we will likely honor some of those requests. This is a far departure from (my) previous ideas, refusing to allow any such transactions. That may have been a bit narrow minded and perhaps even a bit selfish. Things change.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom