Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

RiddleMe, Cackle Hatchery has White Chanteclers for sale this year (2014) for the first time -- they are Greg Oakes stock, which is why the price seems high for what might at first glance appear to be hatchery stock. I'm going to order 15 of them -- the maximum for one order -- in a few days.

And speaking of that, does anyone know what quality Cackle's Buckeyes and Hamburgs are?? I'll need to fill my order with ten more chicks, and am trying to decide what to get.

Kathleen

Breeding pens...... Set ups, hatch goals, top three thing you plan on putting breeding pressure on and selecting for in offspring this year?
Right now I have a single breeding pen with my 3 heritage RIR hens and my top rooster every 3 days.
Then there is my laying mixed flock that I get a single egg from each day that includes non breeding roosters. I'm setting some of them just to see what kind of mutts I can get for next year's laying flock.
For me I choose to put all 3 hens in the same pen due to cold and space issues. When the warmer weather comes I have some smaller tractor pens I can use for breeding but for now all I have is the layer coop, breeder coop, and segregation tiny coop.

RiddleMe, Cackle Hatchery has White Chanteclers for sale this year (2014) for the first time -- they are Greg Oakes stock, which is why the price seems high for what might at first glance appear to be hatchery stock. I'm going to order 15 of them -- the maximum for one order -- in a few days.

And speaking of that, does anyone know what quality Cackle's Buckeyes and Hamburgs are?? I'll need to fill my order with ten more chicks, and am trying to decide what to get.

Kathleen

IF indeed the White Chanteclers are from Greg Oakes they will be good quality, if they are from Greg's line (and he has imported a big percentage of the WC's in the US, then you are depending on how the birds were bred to this point) Personally I went with a known breeder anything "hatchery" imparts a chill here.....

In my large fowl this year I only have two males that I will be breeding from. In one pen, the male is a little on the short side and his back is approaching level so I want to pair him up with a girl that has a nice slope and nice long legs. His feather quality is outstanding so if I have another girl who has outstanding feather quality yet is tall and maybe well laced, she will go in with him too. My birds are finishing up their molting and I haven't checked feather quality on any of the girls yet.

In my other pen, I have a male who is quite tall/large but he's about 1 pound underweight. So, I need to pair him up with a couple of my larger girls who are also nice and tall.

I didn't really notice that some of my birds were a little on the short side until I got a pullet this past spring that is very leggy. She's got a bit of a wow factor going on but I'm trying to only breed from birds that are two years or older. Can hardly wait til NEXT spring when I can use her.

In my bantam pens I have four males and about 20 females who all molted before I was ready for them to do so. This is a project and so the main thing I'll be working on is size.

Question: with regard to the sex-linked bantam gene... I have one pullet who is a "bantam" but she is huge (at least compared to the other pullets in the same pen. I need to compare her to my large fowl females but I think she's probably at least as big as they are. My question is, since she has the bantam gene, if I cross her with a large fowl male, will she produce small chicks or larger chicks?

Back
Top Bottom