Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Excellent points Fred. For me at least, I prefer the term "standard bred" rather than show quality, meaning the birds are bred according to the APA "Standard of Perfection". As a very rough rule of thumb if 10% of the chicks your raise during the year are "show quality", meaning they are good enough to actually show, you're doing fairly well. JMHO

Excellent points Fred. For me at least, I prefer the term "standard bred" rather than show quality, meaning the birds are bred according to the APA "Standard of Perfection". As a very rough rule of thumb if 10% of the chicks your raise during the year are "show quality", meaning they are good enough to actually show, you're doing fairly well. JMHO

Yeeeup.

I still consider how I would manage the process if I was to get more serious about it. Coops for single mothers on grass appeals to me.
Set up is also my issue. I think a single run for hen and chicks is the best way here too. A 3x3 coop and attached 4x10 run should do for a hen and 8 chicks. Using the coop as brooder and ranging them in the run till culling time at 10 weeks. Whaddayathink? That 1/2 sq. ft. per chick inside and 5 sq. ft. per chick outside. plus 4 sq. ft per hen inside and 10 sq ft, per hen outside. I have a huge dog run outside Only have one senior collie left who uses it. I am thinking of taking a 10 by 24 ft section and dividing it into 4 ( 4x10) breeding pens with room left over to walk between them. How many large fowl chicks do you think can be brooded with the hen when cooped in a 3w x3d x 4h coop?
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
Marking my spot and going back to catch up. We were without power with the wind storms that crossed the Oklahoma plains yesterday. Incubators are holding.

Hope those in the south don't get the nasty snow and ice that is predicted.

Just so that those reading this thread are clear, since the post above was in the middle of the posts about @FOGELLY and Dick Horstman, Both of their lines have won lots of ribbons. You cannot say that about nearly all lines from Hatcheries.

Show Quality or Standard bred lines they are and yes only 10% of them might win a show but usually even the worst of them are better than the best from Hatcheries.

Last edited:
Marking my spot and going back to catch up. We were without power with the wind storms that crossed the Oklahoma plains yesterday. Incubators are holding.

Hope those in the south don't get the nasty snow and ice that is predicted.
Ligonier in western PA, USA 15658 Tonight predicted minus 10 below zero temp with -15 to-30 below zero windchill.
Pittsburgh is basically shutting down, schools etc. till this polar vortex passes. They say a polar vortex is 20 yr.
event. So what do you call 2 in one month?...miserable!
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I have actually had patients who had that, and still got coded in the ER and surgery! Alot of people don't realize that in certain situations the "DNR" is "put on hold" any time you have surgery the attending medical professionals will use life saving measures because "if you weren't having surgery you (might not) have needed to be coded." In reply to the person who said they'd get a DNR tattoo. Also in reading about vaccinations and preservation of immunities with in heritage breeds, I have a question... If you have a heritage breed why would the pre-exposure induced by a vaccination (allowing an immune response to a milder form) be a problem, since these are newer diseases (bacteria, viral) an immune response to a new threat that is mild still produces a "natural" immune response with a semi-controlled exposure. Therefore the bird that sneezes may be showing a more immediate immune response to a toxic invader? I'm curious and would like to know from experienced folks who kept "sneezy the first" did he/she seem to suffer more symptoms and did anyone have chicks that did better or worse? Thanks to everyone for info

Last edited:
Just so that those reading this thread are clear, since the post above was in the middle of the posts about @FOGELLY and Dick Horstman, Both of their lines have won lots of ribbons. You cannot say that about nearly all lines from Hatcheries.

Show Quality or Standard bred lines they are and yes only 10% of them might win a show but usually even the worst of them are better than the best from Hatcheries.

You nailed it ronott1, couldn't agree with you more. The hatchery birds cant measure up to the worst of the standard-bred birds, no horse race there.

Are we talking 10% for patterned varieties( Columbian, wheaten, or anything along those lines ) or solid colors( excluding blue I would assume)?

Also to get lines that practically produce copies of the parents, how is that achieved? Obviously not adding a bunch of new blood would help but which breeding method? Would I just have to breed the crap out of them( e.g. many generations, not just a ton of chicks ) and keep my genetics close??

Back
Top Bottom