Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm sorry I brought up Global Warming...I don't buy it. My last word on the subject...when it started getting cold, the 'believers changed their tune and called it 'Global Change'...That's right, I'm an Extremist..Right-wing Republican...End of Discussion..
lau.gif
Nature doesn't give a rat's ptooey about politics ---- me either for that matter
hmm.png

The Earth isn't static, it is ever changing. Tectonic plates move, the poles and polarity shift, sea levels rise and fall, climate changes, species come and go. We deal with it or we don't. That's life on earth.

Last edited:
I don't need any studies to tell me that humans have had a profound effect on this Eath; every species alters the environment such that over time resources are used up and it is time to move. ONly problem is we are every where, no where left to move to. We use a whole lot more resources than most animals and even figured out how to use coal and fossil fuels in addition to wood. If we only used wood, would the carbon concentration in the layers of pack ice be increasing over levels thousands of years ago? THat is not politics, that is science. Guess we should just continue polluting the Earth and not change our ways . . .

I choose to remember THe Lorax.

Hellbender I meant to ask you this early but got side tracked lol

ON the NN, what is the advantage of a naked neck? Like all selection it either was purposely selected for, or it came along with another feature that was favored. Just curious.

Back to poultry. Who is looking for some nice Heritage Large Fowl birds? Now is the time
to ask. Breeder's waiting lists are filling up and eggs are already hatching in some parts of the US.
Best,
Karen

So, it's cold in the south.
There's also record heat in Australia, Africa and even record highs in Alaska and California. Not to mention drought in CA.

Global warming doesn't nor ever did mean that it wouldn't be cold in places (or record cold for that matter)

It's GLOBAL warming - not LOCAL warming.
Global means, the average surface temperature around the globe, not around your neighborhood. If it's cold where you live, that is what's called anecdotal evidence, not scientific.
The past year was the 4th warmest year GLOBALLY, since records began in 1880.
The annual global combined land and ocean surface temperature was 0.62°C (1.12°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F). This marks the 37th consecutive year (since 1976) that the yearly global temperature was above average. Currently, the warmest year on record is 2010, which was 0.66°C (1.19°F) above average.

While 1 degree seems inconsequential, it is cumulative.
As some say when speaking of debt - 'a million here, a million there, pretty soon you're talking real money'.
9 of the 10 warmest years in the 134-year period of record have occurred in the 21st century. Only one year during the 20th century—1998—was warmer than 2013.

According to NOAA (some may choose to ignore since NOAA is comprised of scientists that have all the measurement tools) ~~ the 10 warmest years on record:
Rank Warmest Period of Record: 1880–2013

That concerns me but I'm more of a data person than an anecdotal evidence person.
Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Back to poultry. Who is looking for some nice Heritage Large Fowl birds? Now is the time
to ask. Breeder's waiting lists are filling up and eggs are already hatching in some parts of the US.
 Best,
 Karen

I know this is a national thread but anyone who is in the Northwest and interested in large fowl Langshans, there is a beautiful trio from Sherry Parker that has been donated to Prairie Hatcher 4-H for their annual fund raising auction. Other birds will be there too obviously (including some Buff Leghorn chicks from yours truly) and have all been donated. The event is Feb 22nd in Ridgefield, WA.

Not sure what other heritage birds will be there since I'm just an "alumni" of the club and a donor, but thought if help them out with a plug here!

Hellbender I meant to ask you this early but got side tracked lol

ON the NN, what is the advantage of a naked neck? Like all selection it either was purposely selected for, or it came along with another feature that was favored. Just curious.
I know I'm not hellbender, nor do I own NNs, yet that is but I think I can help answer this. Since they have up to 60% less feathers more nutrients/energy can go into meat and egg production so you can have a better dual purpose breed. Plus with that many less feathers plucking is a lot easier
lol.png

I know I'm not hellbender, nor do I own NNs, yet that is but I think I can help answer this. Since they have up to 60% less feathers more nutrients/energy can go into meat and egg production so you can have a better dual purpose breed. Plus with that many less feathers plucking is a lot easier
lol.png
I am thinking it made it easier to chop their heads off
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom