Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm sure I don't know. It's said, "we are what we eat"...

EDIT:That little bit should be altered to : "we are what we eat and drink"...giving water and other liquids their due, especially in temperature extremes.

It's very easy to assume the birds are getting enough water in winter when in fact they often do not, and just because they can eat a bite of snow now and again, does not mean they do not NEED frequent CLEAN water....changed and not just added to.

Some of us go so far as to add water to the feed, especially in winter...
Fresh water is key for all critters, year round. I've told people for years that the 2 cheapest feeds for horses, cattle, and goats,are water and salt. Something so simple is often overlooked.If a bird's system is dehydrated, it's fermentation vat/heater does not work properly to keep them warm.

Last edited:
oh, believe me, i am very much looking forward to having them well into the future. but i dont know if i want to hatch this many in a short amount of time again. they are small, but tightly feathered so they do appear much smaller.

Walt, can you clarify, I've read the APA bylaws about applying to get a new breed admitted and didn't see where they specify the breeders have to have been APA members for the 5 years.  Is this just implied by some of the show certification requirements, or... Just trying to understand the process.  Thank you!

It is under the 5 year rule. If you are one of the people raising them for 5 years you have to be a member for the whole time. Otherwise a person can join right before the application is submitted. The Standard Committee is currently working on the admission process and the wording, so that there will be no doubt.

Walt
Thank you!

Does anyone have an organized list of breeders by state and breed? I am well inside city limits in SW Missouri and want to get 4 chickens for eggs, and a little garden aid now and then. Looking at Black australorp, Ameraucana, Columbian or silver laced Wyandotte, and maybe a Barneveldor or a second Ameraucana. I can get all but the Barneveldor delivered to tractor supply co, but I don't know what my chances are on quality, health, and standards.

Does anyone have an organized list of breeders by state and breed? I am well inside city limits in SW Missouri and want to get 4 chickens for eggs, and a little garden aid now and then. Looking at Black australorp, Ameraucana, Columbian or silver laced Wyandotte, and maybe a Barneveldor or a second Ameraucana. I can get all but the Barneveldor delivered to tractor supply co, but I don't know what my chances are on quality, health, and standards.
I found "Missouri Poultry Yearbook" on-line. The Breeders have contact information and you will be able to find what you need.
Last spring I ordered from two sources and found healthy chicks both places, you live near Cackle Hatchery where I got about 40 chicks and I also ordered 25 from Duane Urch in Minnesota.
My Australorp pullets of the quality you mentioned are just beginning to lay and they were hatched on April 8, so I am unable to help with the breeds you desire.
If you want quality more than quantity you could try this web site and visit a show:
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Heart_of_America.html
I noticed you also visited the Missouri thread that I also read so you are well on your way to finding pullets.
send me a private message if you need more information, I will try and help.
John

To be brutally blunt, getting any breed of certainty from Tractor Supply or other such outlets is sketchy at best. Most of the people cleaning, caring for and selling those chicks haven't a clue what breed is what.

All you have to do is read a few testimonials here on BYC to find clear evidence of what I contend.

Back
Top Bottom