Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I hung a ham bone up by a rope in the poultry yard a while back. It was so funny..
They stripped it in no time. I have one in the freezer. I think I will defrost ot today and hang it
up in their yard as a honorarium to Hellbender's sharing.
Ron, I do appreciate your sharing and see the value in it.
Best,
Karen ( who has come out of the darkness enough to move the Sussex from 16% Dumor
to 22% Agway Meatbird.).
thumbsup.gif

Such detailed, at times quite raw information about the sentient beings' blood, flesh, and bones is very difficult to read about, and come to terms with.

I thought this thread was about breeding, and improving the heritage fowl we; or I should say; some of us love, care for, and respect!

Good day,

Lual
We do care for and respect them and we meet their needs any way we possibly can. After all, if no animals were ever killed, the world would be devoid of all green matter and all of us would die. Waste not, want not.

I hung a ham bone up by a rope in the poultry yard a while back. It was so funny..
They stripped it in no time. I have one in the freezer. I think I will defrost ot today and hang it
Best,
Karen ( who has come out of the darkness enough to move the Sussex from 16% Dumor
to 22% Agway Meatbird.).
wee.gif
You're on your way!

big_smile.png
Karen, it is only your sensibilties that is between the meat scraps and your lovely chickens. I started by picking clean a stewed chicken and tossing them the bones. Which really still has a bit of meat on it no matter how much I try. To give the "bones" to the chickens was win-win. Just food for thought.
hugs.gif
Honestly, Arielle,
The part I worry about is the extra toxins my birds are getting from the organs. I will not feed any organs that "filter" to my family or my animals. It bothers me I am not feeding organic grains to my family and pets around here but they are not in the budget. I simply have a problem with adding more potential toxin load from meat which has been raised with medicines and toxins into my birds feed cycle. Our lot is organic. So, to my knowledge are our neighbors. I like sprouted oats because they are a clean, fresh unpolluted source of proteins and stuff. Yes, I buy special oats to sprouts for them. Ham is different. it is already preserved. Yes, we could go into a detailed discussion of what is polluted with meds and toxins and what isn't and to what extent. Been there , done that, not gonna change my mind. It's not a matter of "yuck" , it's a matter of "taint". The taint is the yuck. Yes, know they are little velosoraptors, and if this were a more organic time, I would feed them anything but their own species in meat. But it's not and I can't afford to take the special byway to make it so. I've opted for what I can do and that is the best crumble possible and fresh green things, plus preserved meat and a formulated vitamin product if needed. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the bloody, gooey route. I know it has excellent results with the poultry. I just don't go that way for the above reasons and have made up my mind about it.
Best,
Karen
A new grain released in 2003. Developed by specialized linebreeding, not GMO, at Louisiana State University. Yes, I spoke with them personally. Plotspike has a number of different formulas which can be used for sprouting for poultry. I use forage oats because sprouted oats have historically and scientifically been proven the very best seed to sprout for poultry.
http://www.plotspike.com/forageoats.htm

Last edited:
Such detailed, at times quite raw information about the sentient beings' blood, flesh, and bones is very difficult to read about, and come to terms with.

I thought this thread was about breeding, and improving the heritage fowl we; or I should say; some of us love, care for, and respect!

Good day,

Lual

I'm finding it difficult to see your point of view as valid. "Not killing of animals" does not equal love, care and respect when that's just the opposite, really. It's a necessary thing to keep animal populations in check, to feed humans and other animals and for the general overall health of the flock/herd/pack. It's caring and loving enough to do the hard task of killing that is true respect and caring and loving of these animals in our care. It's good stewardship.

That is a very real aspect of breeding heritage breed chickens~ the cull, the kill, the necessary weeding out of the weak, sick and nonbreeding animals that maintains that hardy, heritage vigor. There is nothing more close to one's heritage than killing one's own food and consuming it.

This is just that kind of a thread.

Last edited:
Best,
to 22% Agway Meatbird.).
That is progress Karen!! The frentic behavior of chickens desperite for their chare is somewhere between scary and comical.

I respect LualShannon's position. She is free to see it that way and there are others that do. I am sure that my opinions or positions are not always well received. I share them anyways. I prefer to read a variety of positions than one repeated over and again.

I do not object to an animal being considered sentient in it's purest sense. On some level, it is true. On the other hand if the word is expanded to imply that they would be on the same level that we are, you lose me. I do not like to consider an animal on a similar level to man. It seams that to raise the position of one, you lower the position of the other.
Whenever we choose to breed an animal, in this case livestock, we become the master. We are responsible for the welfare and health of the whole. This requires (possibly) difficult choices. As a belonging of mine, I am free to retain what pleases me and discard what does not please me. Because my interest in not purely vain, generally what pleases me is good for the whole, and what does not, is not.
Anyone operating a small farm, is doing similar on an expanded scale. I would encourage them to run it as efficiently, effectively, and responsibly as possible. That would include integrating the parts, and possibly feeding animal parts to another animal. There is nothing morally wrong with doing so. It is no different than feeding our dog food that contains meat products.

It is one of those realities that some of us have a hard time with, especially when confronted with the visual reality of it.

Back
Top Bottom