Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I think those will work for chicks, but I would NOT use those for older birds. I tried that last year and I don't think they were ever able to get enough water. Tossed that in the trash.

If you are taking about chicken nipples I'm not sure why you had a problem. I have hundreds of chickens and I use no other waterers other than the nipples... Any in temporary show cages are on bottles, the rest are either on the bottom of buckets, 4" pvc waterers, or tubing waterers in the breeding pens. As long as you have enough nipples for the size flock you shouldn't have a problem.
I can't imagine watering poultry any other way. I don't have to worry about clean water or about them ever running out. Best poultry invention EVER! :)

I just have to share this. Found it in a thread by another poster in the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum.
I have struggled for years with watering chicks and different set-ups for that. This is so clever. I am putting
multiple units in all my brooders. I think I might put another block of wood between the wall and the waterer
to put the nipple a bit further out in the brooder for access's sake.
http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2013/03/30/nipple-waterer-for-chicks/
Best Regards,
Karen
Karen, I put a flat container under the area. Like a cake pan with a plank to fit in loosely. Catches the drips keeping the litter dry. Just clean out as you see fit. Wood has a natural antibacterial property so I don't worry too much about the dampness.

Great find huh? Like sliced cheese!

I think those will work for chicks, but I would NOT use those for older birds. I tried that last year and I don't think they were ever able to get enough water. Tossed that in the trash.
I hang up numerous nipple waterers around the farm -- the trick is to have MANY about 5 birds per nipple and have a hole in the top ( sometimes I leave the cap off, other times drill ahole in the cap.

Sometimes the seal between nipple and bottle isnot good-- I don't have good luck with teflon tape and use silicone caulking which is messier. Always seem to be fixing one.

If you are taking about chicken nipples I'm not sure why you had a problem. I have hundreds of chickens and I use no other waterers other than the nipples... Any in temporary show cages are on bottles, the rest are either on the bottom of buckets, 4" pvc waterers, or tubing waterers in the breeding pens. As long as you have enough nipples for the size flock you shouldn't have a problem.
I can't imagine watering poultry any other way. I don't have to worry about clean water or about them ever running out. Best poultry invention EVER! :)
Dittos
In two years only other way our chickens get water is rain or when we turn on hose to refill.
Then they all drink out of the puddles LOL. Chicks start on nipples at one week here.

I just have to share this. Found it in a thread by another poster in the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum.
I have struggled for years with watering chicks and different set-ups for that. This is so clever. I am putting
multiple units in all my brooders. I think I might put another block of wood between the wall and the waterer
to put the nipple a bit further out in the brooder for access's sake.
http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2013/03/30/nipple-waterer-for-chicks/
Best Regards,
Karen

i use these, as well as larger buckets with nipples for my grown birds (and my coop design came from the same website, which is fabulous) -- can't recommend them enough! water stays clean, and i've never had trouble with birds not getting enough water.

I use the threaded nipples from dmrippy. My layer house currently has 22 hens and a roo. They have 4 nipples on a 5 gal bucket. I have NO issues with them getting enough water. When the weather is hot however, I do have open pans for them to stand in and cool off their feet and dunk their faces into. Those birds go through a bucketful in about 36 hours. I use an 11/32 drill bit on the thick plastic buckets and just screw the nipples in; over a year and no leaks.

I use a 21/64 bit for thinner plastic bottles like vinegar and bleach jugs. I put two nipples on those and use them in my brooders. So far I have not had to use pipe dope or silicon and have had no leaks. These nipples DO NOT WORK if there is a vacuum so you have to leave the caps loose or poke a hole in the bottle.

On the bleach bottles I put the nipple on the bottom of the jug and just set the lid on top. When I take them down to fill them I can screw the lid down while I carry the jug to prevent sloshing, then just unscrew the cap when I hang it up. Great not having to fill and clean a bunch a little waterers.

ONe of the real benefits with the nipple wqterers is no dumping of dirty water, and second-- the water lasts longer ( less refilling) which saves me time!!

Spring is here and all my nipple waterer have been going up all week.

Right now my youngest chicks have a rabbit waterer. They stick their little beaks in the end of the tube, pushing the bearing back and get their drinks. I have nipple waterers on order and can't wait for them to get here. I think it will be easier for the chicks to get their water with the nipples rather than the ball.

Last edited:
Right now my youngest chicks have a rabbit waterer. They stick their little beaks in the end of the tube, pushing the bearing back and get their drinks. I have nipple waterers on order and can't wait for them to get here. I think it will be easier for the chicks to get their water with the nipples rather than the ball.
My rabbit has the rabbit waterer-- and it does have th force of the water on that ball; the nipple waterer is a little pin that is pushed to the side, so far less effort.

I'm trying to remember the info that I read on a suppliers website: 5-8 birds per nipple water. Is that right??

Back
Top Bottom