Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

There wasn't anything "Old fashioned" about winter here in western PA. It was a multiple record breaker.
I left my birds to recoup naturally as the season progresses. They started laying earlier this season but
were still recuperating from the winter so I didn't set any eggs. I didn't want to set eggs from stressed
birds. This last week they finally are back to pre-winter status. The few who weren't laying have started
last week so we are gathering eggs to start our hatching season. Last year our last hatch was April 28th.
Well we may be late but at least all the birds survived the winter. The good news is that the chicks can
go out a bit earlier this year because the weather will be warmer. The not so good news is that altho
Sussex were historically raised year 'round, the best winter layers are hatched in March
Best,
Karen
Karen (and others), please don't take this as bragging because it's simply a matter of fact. My birds produced beautifully, right through the coldest weather and haven't stopped. They are going through a light molt but continue to lay like machines. Of course some will go through a heavy molt at some point and many will stop laying altogether for a while but enough will lay to keep our clients in eggs with ease.

The difference is nutrition and birds that are bred to lay...despite the conspicuous lack of feathers on their necks and dearth of the same on other parts of their bodies.

Many people look at these NNs and see only 'UGLY' but they are truly blind to their worth in the area of production and perhaps somewhere down the line, as exhibition stock.

Oh....I failed to mention that they are out in the foulest weather, gleaning what ever they can, so long as they can see some patch of dead grass or other bare areas.

Last edited:
I have settled on the Delaware breed and hope to buy from Whitmore Farm which is within an hour and a half drive. According to their Delaware page, they breed to the standard and for a quick growing, dual purpose bird. That is exactly what I want. I was wondering if anyone has opinions of the farm and their birds. Anybody else in the PA/MD border to East/Central PA area breeding Delawares?
Cpartist (on here), has the best Delaware available. She has quietly moved along and has put together some good birds. They lay big eggs exceptionally well, grow fast, meaty, and have the best type. The color is getting good to. They perform as they should, and look as they should. They are not perfect, but closer than any other. If there is better, I want to see it.

Cpartist (on here), has the best Delaware available. She has quietly moved along and has put together some good birds. They lay big eggs exceptionally well, grow fast, meaty, and have the best type. The color is getting good to. They perform as they should, and look as they should. They are not perfect, but closer than any other. If there is better, I want to see it.
I thought Kathy in Mo had the best from the way everyone was talking. Or does she have the best recreation? I don't know, not my breed.
Best,
Karen

I asked mr blosl who had the best strain of delawares in the country. he said that as a breed they needed to be recreated the exact way that kathyinmo is doing. I didn't really believe him and began looking for the older lines. I found some from several different lines and began breeding them and ran into several problems eventually giving up on them. they just were not for me. out of all the breeds that I have had and no longer have, the black australorp was hard to beat in every category

I asked mr blosl who had the best strain of delawares in the country. he said that as a breed they needed to be recreated the exact way that kathyinmo is doing. I didn't really believe him and began looking for the older lines. I found some from several different lines and began breeding them and ran into several problems eventually giving up on them. they just were not for me. out of all the breeds that I have had and no longer have, the black australorp was hard to beat in every category
Oh, that explains my confusion.
Thanks!
Karen

Karen I looked at your pictures of your LS that you posted a while back. They look really nice. I hatched 8 chicks today hopefully they will be as good looking has yours.

Scott

I'm not sure if I belong here but I'm having a really hard time trying to determine what this is. Thanks for any help.

Everyone knows how much I like Kathy's project birds. She also shared them with some good people. She is a friend of mine and sometimes I wish that she would give it another go. I have seen some individuals that come from that project that make me say wow. They are not finished is all. When they are consistently like the best ones, then I might agree.

But, at the same time all of that was going on, Cpartist kept plugging at it with what she had and has done some tweaking. They are not perfect. There is no perfect Delaware, but I assure you that they are pretty good.

And they do what they are supposed to do. Grow fast, come into lay fast, and be fleshed out at a young age. That matters to me, because the breed was a utility breed. They were not ornamentals. To have a strain out there that looks good and performs well should be of interest.

I have been impressed with the progress.

Back
Top Bottom