Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Well then maybe it is time for me to change the way I do things. I have always worried the
little ones would eat the shavings and get impacted. But if ya'll aren't seeing that problem,
then maybe my "better safe than sorry" system isn't necessary. Yeah, I do change a lot of
waterers at any age. Amazing how fast these chips soak up the water
wink.png

Best,
Karen
The chicks learn quickly that the shavings are not food. I have never had a problem with it.

The stall fresh is pdz crystals. It will not hurt them if they eat some. I have been using it for years.

Wait until they are a week old though.

Well, ok then. We will change he way we do things.
Thanks so much to all of you for all your help! Off
to change the flooring to chips! Hey and congrats
on those blue chicks!
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi !
frow.gif

I have always kept my large fowl Light Sussex chicks on paper or drawer liner until 2 weeks old or more. It's summer and these floorings are getting gunky real fast. What do you think about keeping the one and 2 week olds on large size kiln dried hardwood chips at this age?( the white bale at Tractor Supply) I was just thinking things would be more pleasant for the chicks and myself that way. Too young? Ok?
Thanks for your input,
Karen

That's what I use after a few days. I put the shavings into the brooder and cover with a layer of paper towels for about 3-4 days until the chicks have figured out the difference between food and the few shavings they manage to dig up and flip over onto the paper towels. Once they know what is food, I take the paper towels out. And it's easy to just roll up the paper towels and lay fresh ones down while the chicks are in the brooder.

Well then maybe it is time for me to change the way I do things. I have always worried the
little ones would eat the shavings and get impacted. But if ya'll aren't seeing that problem,
then maybe my "better safe than sorry" system isn't necessary. Yeah, I do change a lot of
waterers at any age. Amazing how fast these chips soak up the water
wink.png

Best,
Karen
For the first few days I use a quail watering base on a jar waterer. Once they get the hang of things, about the same time I get rid of paper towels in the brooder, I get rid of the waterer and I hang bottles with nipples in them into the brooder. I use a dowel or a scrap of pvc to lay over the top of the brooder and using cording/rope, I make a macramé type holder for the bottles and can raise the bottles as they grow to keep the water at the right height. And I don't have all that wetness from knocking over the water as they start getting frisky and big enough to knock the waterer over.

For the first few days I use a quail watering base on a jar waterer.  Once they get the hang of things, about the same time I get rid of paper towels in the brooder,  I get rid of the waterer and I hang bottles with nipples in them into the brooder.  I use a dowel or a scrap of pvc to lay over the top of the brooder and using cording/rope, I make a macramé type holder for the bottles and can raise the bottles as they grow to keep the water at the right height.  And I don't have all that wetness from knocking over the water as they start getting frisky and big enough to knock the waterer over.
and no more smelly stinky nasty bacteria water for the babies! They poop in it and even when they dont, those things go septic quick *blech*

Last edited:
Hi !
frow.gif

I have always kept my large fowl Light Sussex chicks on paper or drawer liner until 2 weeks old or more. It's summer and these floorings are getting gunky real fast. What do you think about keeping the one and 2 week olds on large size kiln dried hardwood chips at this age?( the white bale at Tractor Supply) I was just thinking things would be more pleasant for the chicks and myself that way. Too young? Ok?
Thanks for your input,
Karen
At three days old, my chicks go on to the small chips from TSC, in a big water tub. Get your babies off slick paper !

After my chicks are a few days old I set their water on a 1x4 that is a little longer than the water dish so they can reach it but they don't get all the wood chips in their water. And after a couple weeks I switch to a 2x4 block of wood for the water. It really helps keep the water clean.

My chicks are special. Even after I switch to a 2 x 4 they still are talented enough to get it in it.
lau.gif
I have them on a 2x6 right now and it a Little better.

I put my waterer as high as I can get it after they know what it looks like. Right now, I have chicks in a very large cardboard box and the waterer is about 6 inches off the floor. I make a ramp so they can get up there when they're little. The top of the jar sits right under the wire covering I have on it so nobody can get on top. Every once in a while they still manage to poop in it which I just don't get and as soon as I see it, it's gone! New water right away. I scrub the whole thing out every morning cuz it stinks! Yuk!

My chicks that are outside have two of the waterers per pen up on cinder blocks. They don't poop in theirs but every morning when I scrub them out it literally turns my stomach big time because of the slime that has formed in the red pan part. Ugh! It's all I can do NOT to add to it!
sickbyc.gif
I think its happening because its so hot. I've never had waterers get as slimy as they are this year!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom