Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Zanna or other New Hampshire breeders,

I have my first flock of chickens (hatchery) and I had thought it too soon to get heritage chickens, but others have recommended that I try to find some heritage birds next spring. I don't think I will want to start a breeding program myself, but I would be interested in finding out how different the heritage birds are from the McM hatchery stock that I got this year. I am in SW Colorado, so I doubt I am close to any breeders. Is is realistic to try to get some heritage New Hampshires, what would it entail?
Yes it is realistic, the NH are calm and very easy to deal with. I would contact Luanne D'Amico, CPartist but she is not on here very often. Her website is eightacresfarm.weebly.com and her contact info. on there is probably the best way to get a hold of her. I know of many who have gotten a start on this breed from her, myself included. She will ship chicks, you would most likely have to order 20 or so so that they stay warm in shipping. She also has many other breeds, all of quality so you could get some others to make up the numbers if you wanted. Most chicks from private breeders come straight run (not sexed) so you will end up with some cockerals as well. She might ship older sexed pullets, not sure.

Maybe someone else on here will know of a good breeder closer to you so you could pick up and not have to get them shipped. Are there any poultry shows in Colorado? That is often a good place to check out breeders and their stock.

Decide how many chicks you want to raise. It should be at least two dozen to make it worthwhile for you and the supplier. You can always keep what you want and sell or share the rest. Find a breeder that is willing to ship chicks. Look online, make some phone calls and set it up. When your weather, and the weather in the supplier's area, turns mild, is the time for the shipment. Understand that the eggs will have to be collected, stored, incubated and hatched and shipping needs to be soon (24 hrs) after hatch. It really is not too hard, just understand that they will be more expensive than hatchery chicks (and TOTALLY worth it!)

ETA: Typed while Zanna was posting. Ditto that!

Last edited:
Zanna and Wisher1000,
Thanks for the lead and advice. I will start exploring the options. If anyone does know of a closer breeder, I'd be happy to hear about it. I couldn't find any in a google search and I don't know about Colorado (or NM or UT) poultry shows.

Thanks for the link to the stock show.

I didn't see any breeders of New Hampshires (or Delawares, another breed, I might want to try) anywhere near me in the breeders directiory.

Zanna or other New Hampshire breeders,

I have my first flock of chickens (hatchery) and I had thought it too soon to get heritage chickens, but others have recommended that I try to find some heritage birds next spring. I don't think I will want to start a breeding program myself, but I would be interested in finding out how different the heritage birds are from the McM hatchery stock that I got this year. I am in SW Colorado, so I doubt I am close to any breeders. Is is realistic to try to get some heritage New Hampshires, what would it entail?
CHicks ship well. So please dont feel limited to local sources. My buckeye chicks came from Alabama to Massachusetts.

Decide how many chicks you want to raise. It should be at least two dozen to make it worthwhile for you and the supplier. You can always keep what you want and sell or share the rest. Find a breeder that is willing to ship chicks. Look online, make some phone calls and set it up. When your weather, and the weather in the supplier's area, turns mild, is the time for the shipment. Understand that the eggs will have to be collected, stored, incubated and hatched and shipping needs to be soon (24 hrs) after hatch. It really is not too hard, just understand that they will be more expensive than hatchery chicks (and TOTALLY worth it!)

ETA: Typed while Zanna was posting. Ditto that!
x2

THe cost of purchasing good stock is far less than the cost of feeding all those hungry mouths. Definitely worth the extra cost for good birds over hatchery stock.

My hatchery New Hampshires and Barred Rocks are laying very well (about 90% since they started laying around 5 to 5.5 months - they are 7.5 mo. now). I lost one NH pullet to unknown cause soon after she started laying, but otherwise they all seem hearty and healthy. What is it about heritage birds that makes them so much better. Everyone seems to agree on that, I just wonder. Is it production? Size? Health? Longevity? All of these things?

Back
Top Bottom