Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

The red, crimson, etc. do best here. They tolerate the more acidic soils better, though I still have to lime. With our soil conditions, if we do not get timely spring rain, they do not re seed well. We really need to re seed every second year. Maybe three, if all goes well. It is really questionable whether it is worth the cost here. I am better off encouraging wild plants, and over seeding with oats etc. Fortunately, we have a long growing season.

I just cannot bear to spend more on the greens than the rest of their feed. It can get expensive. I am always trying to learn where the balance is. Much of it is taking advantage of what I have.

ETA: Anyone know where to get chickpea seeds?

I have wanted to plant chick peas for my own consumption for a while now, but haven't quite threaded the needle, so to speak, with climate and timing here in South Central Texas. They're not supposed to like hot dry weather OR cool wet weather (and we usually only have either of these), but rather cooler dry weather, as I recall. I'll be interested in following if anyone has anything to add.

I've only ever found the seeds in smaller amounts for garden planting (pretty darn expensive if you're looking for high volume), but I can't claim to have done a full search in the right places - it would depend on how much you needed. HOWEVER, I HAVE gotten bulk organic chick peas at the health food store and successfully sprouted them. Never tried to cultivate as a grown plant (yet), but it's an awful lot cheaper than planting seeds, may be worth a test try.

- Ant Farm

The red, crimson, etc. do best here. They tolerate the more acidic soils better, though I still have to lime. With our soil conditions, if we do not get timely spring rain, they do not re seed well. We really need to re seed every second year. Maybe three, if all goes well. It is really questionable whether it is worth the cost here. I am better off encouraging wild plants, and over seeding with oats etc. Fortunately, we have a long growing season.

I just cannot bear to spend more on the greens than the rest of their feed. It can get expensive. I am always trying to learn where the balance is. Much of it is taking advantage of what I have.

ETA: Anyone know where to get chickpea seeds?

Found this chickpea source online. Probably best to shop around. http://www.bountifulgardens.org/Garbanzo/products/20/

I'm in a desert. No topsoil. No pasture. When my water bill went over $100/month I decided if I can't eat it myself I'm not planting it. Chard grows well all winter here and also manages to survive the summer heat. The birds who range near the garden will feast on the leaves that grow through the fence, and I pick chard leaves several times a week for the birds who are penned without garden-edge access. Chard is a decent source of fresh greens for 6-8 months of the year. In the winter I also grow bok choy, kale, and mizuna for me and the chickens.

The chickens devoured the lemongrass, irises, and most of the landscaping plants I used to try to grow. They do a pretty good job of keeping the bottom of my Australian acacia tree trimmed to the upper limit of chicken-jumping height. So even though I'm in a desert and the chickens don't have a pasture, they do manage to find quite a bit of greenery to eat in addition to the stuff I give them. It's far from ideal but it works.

We plant arrow leaf clover, winter rye and fescue for winter grass for the cattle. The spring, summer and early fall pastures have Bermuda, crab grass, Dallas grass and Johnson grass. Weeds we allow to grow are wild sunflowers...more for shade around the pens, Lambs quarters, dandelion and Henbit. The chickens free range and nibble everything. We overcast with turnips, radish rape and wheat around the pens and in the garden. The birds...chickens, pheasant and quail...all get their fair share.
I'm contemplating planting a 4 X 16 foot raised bed in the garden with alfalfa to cut fresh for the birds in the breed pens. The roots run deep and it can tolerate heat.
I also soak oats and tidbit with corn chops and boss.
As a greens supplement, I run fresh pea hulls, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower trimmings thru my food processor and offer these to the birds. These can be frozen in water in an ice cream bucket and set out during hot weather. A hammer and stake will break it into chunks for smaller pens.

I took three of my Black Java pullets to a poultry show over the weekend. There were nine Black Javas in the show, but the other six birds were shown as trios. Mine were the only individual birds. The judge ranked my pullets one, two and three and did not individually rank any of the trio birds. My birds got best of breed and reserve of breed. I am confused about whether that was best and reserve of just the individual birds shown, or if it was best and reserve of the nine total birds regardless of display type. Forgot to ask the judge before he left. I'd pat myself on the back but these birds have a long way to go.

At least I'm heading in the right direction. Best of breed in a small field is better than dead last in a larger field, which is what I got a couple of years ago.
gig.gif

Sarah

II sometimes mix whole oats in a 1/6 ratio and sometimes a sprinkle of craked corn - but the soak is mostly whole wheat as I get it from farmer that hays our place.
Grass for oats - thats a good deal.

Some of the cattle farmers will over seed with oats, rather than rye. Some of the deer hunters will plant oats as cool season grass.

I took three of my Black Java pullets to a poultry show over the weekend. There were nine Black Javas in the show, but the other six birds were shown as trios. Mine were the only individual birds. The judge ranked my pullets one, two and three and did not individually rank any of the trio birds. My birds got best of breed and reserve of breed. I am confused about whether that was best and reserve of just the individual birds shown, or if it was best and reserve of the nine total birds regardless of display type. Forgot to ask the judge before he left. I'd pat myself on the back but these birds have a long way to go.

At least I'm heading in the right direction. Best of breed in a small field is better than dead last in a larger field, which is what I got a couple of years ago.
gig.gif

Sarah

Congrats. Those of us with rare breeds need pats on the back and encouragement.

I would like to show a couple pullets (or something) next year. They would be the only birds in their breed, but it would help to get them seen.

Congrats. Those of us with rare breeds need pats on the back and encouragement.

I would like to show a couple pullets (or something) next year. They would be the only birds in their breed, but it would help to get them seen.

I think it's good to get these birds out there, too. I say that even though I'm not into showing, maybe some day. The other two breeders on the team like to show. I'm happy to support them.
cool.png

I have 4 Barred Plymouth Rock cockerels, nearly 7 months old, as options to use when moving forward. I started with 9 males, culled down to 4 and now hope to cull down to the top two. If there are any knowledgeable Plymouth Rock people here, I would love feedback and opinions on these males.

These 2 males are who I am currently planning on using @Fred's Hens and @uphilljill I would love your thoughts if you pop in as well.

Male num19

And male num18. I didn't get many good pictures of him in a good profile stance or above shot etc. I can take better pics if anyone would like,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom