Heritage New Hampshires

I have a few New Hampshires growing out now.

31282_6-18-11misc058.jpg

31282_6-17-11misc017.jpg

And, a few more chicks. I am finished hatching for the season.

31282_6-18-11misc028.jpg

i thought dominickers were critical??? weren't they almost extinct at one time???

do new hampshire's lay well????

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. You got it right, Kathy. Dominiques are pretty rare and seem to have been for a while.

I really love the coloring on these New Hampshires. They're lookin' good, Kathy.

Last edited:
ya i meant a dominique, but around here no one calls them that. they are called dominickers here. do new hampshire's compare to rhode island red's egg production?

I really love the coloring on these New Hampshires. They're lookin' good, Kathy.

Thanks, Mitch. I think they are so pretty. I just love them. The are not the greatest foragers, like my Barred Rocks though. They stay pretty close to the coop.

Quote:
I have had my New Hampshires for less than a year, and they have been excellent layers.​

Taylor, they tend to be called by that name around here to. In fact if the bird is barred or cuckoo they use the name. They seam to associate the name with a color pattern more than anything. Keep hanging around these guys and they will keep you straight.

Kathy, I am going to share a couple pictures wth you. Bare with the quality. Neither the equipment nor the operator is up to par. Here is a couple @ aproximately eight weeks old. . . . .

80669_4_wk_8_wk_cockerelspullets_015.jpg

80669_4_wk_8_wk_cockerelspullets_011.jpg

Here is a few @ aproximately 14 wks.

80669_x2new_hampshires14wks_005.jpg

80669_x2new_hampshires14wks_009.jpg

80669_new_hampshires_14wks_011.jpg

80669_new_hampshires_14wks_015.jpg

I have not found these to be the best of foragers either. They are however, very calm natured and would do well with one that appreciates that in a bird. They are beautiful birds and I am very pleased with them. My original New Hampshires are more assertive in nature, much like the Delewares. This is another example of not being able to characterize an entire breed by one strain. Kathy, what color and size of eggs are your NHs laying?
You told me that your Barred Rocks were good foragers and you are right on. This is the best foraging heavy breed birds I have been around. I swear they seam a little smarter than the average bird. I moved the second batch that you sent me toward the front of the property, and the first evening I let them out they darted 300' to the back to scratch under their favorite spot (my wife's hydrangeas). They didn't miss a beat. We call them our little lawn mowers.
I am going to try to put a history together for this breed (New Hampshires), unless someone beats me to it (which would be great). I would like to see this breed get more recognition that I believe it deserves. They have had about as much influence on modern poultry farming as any other breed has. Both for eggs and meat. They are still / can be a practical breed to keep, and good examples are beautiful birds. I would like to see both large fowl and bantams bred by more people. I hope a few people that have gotten birds from you will pick them up and work with them and do well with them. I also hope a couple more people that have good birds will become known (at least by me:).
Mr. (Mongold?) has contributed to a couple New Hampshire threads recently and I hope that he continues to. It sounds to me that he has been interested in them long enough to have alot to offer.

Last edited:
Hi George!
I am working 12 hour night shifts. I work again tonight, and then I will have a couple days off to get caught up. I want to gather the info I have and email it or snail mail some of it to you.

That is exactly what I have said about those Barred Rocks, too! They continue to amaze me! The New Hampshires are just gorgeous mellow birds, for sure.

Your birds are looking great! Your pictures are just fine, too!

Quote:
NICE!!
smile.png

Some more pics of those beautiful orange chickens
lol.png

Good looking birds there Mr. Jensen, and yes I have noticed my NH's are more laid back than some other breeds but its just good for me I love 'em.

Jeff

Now I need to dust off the 'ol lens on my camera and see if I can remember how to upload pics on here again as its been a while and I tend to forget things like that if I don't stay in practice (shameful huh?).
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom