Heritage Turkeys, Butcher Weight Timeline

OPA Acres

Chirping
Jun 1, 2021
Hello,

This is our first year raising turkeys. We have 3 different breeds of heritage (Blue Slate, Red Bourban, and Black). Everywhere I read says that they will reach "market weight" in 26-28 weeks. My question is - what is market weight?

We would like a 10-15 pound turkey to put in the oven -- from your experience/knowledge, how long will it take for these heritage breeds to reach that size for the freezer.

Thank you!

@R2elk has way more experience with heritage breeds, mine is with BB. but general conversion for turkey is 72% so you will want a live weight of 20-25lbs to have a 10-15# turkey. with BB I have achieved this in 3-5 months with white toms being the fastest growing. I would say that with heritage breeds 24 weeks will probably be the minimum grow out.

@R2elk has way more experience with heritage breeds, mine is with BB. but general conversion for turkey is 72% so you will want a live weight of 20-25lbs to have a 10-15# turkey. with BB I have achieved this in 3-5 months with white toms being the fastest growing. I would say that with heritage breeds 24 weeks will probably be the minimum grow out.
Depending on the variety, it can take a full year to get a 20 lb. carcass. Royal Palm toms have dressed at 15 lbs. at a year old for me.

Back
Top Bottom