heritage vs mutt, which is more hardy?

Mutts are only hardy if you breed that mutt from hardy breeds.
A “mutt” is a very broad term. A cold hardy breed is hardier than your general mutt.
And any mutts your breed together for a long time become more closely related, like a breed.

Definitely not for money. There isn’t money in pure breeds.
Pure breeds keep valuable genetics for future generations. Pure breeds give you a consistent and desirable result.
A crossbreed may have strong vigor but any future generations won’t have the same effect. If you didn’t have two pure breeds bred for the traits you want in the first place, you can’t have a crossbreed. It’s not sustainable to constantly introduce new blood or crossbreed. So pure breeds are the solution.
Yes there is money in some pure breeds.

Are pure breeds just something that are kept around because of money and contests?
Meat production, egg laying, growth rate, hardiness, aesthetics.
For most of history they had landraces (somewhat related mutts.) and gamefowl. They weren’t very productive.
Birds with the most desirable traits (desirable is in the eye of the beholder) were bred together to make pure breeds. These were more productive than your regular stock farm bird, even if more inbred.
Crossing inbred birds of different families of course produces extra productive birds. They knew that then.
Commercial crossbreds are very recent. People used to get their eggs and meat from pure breeds and the American Poultry Association used to be the industry, before commercial and purebred breeders separated.

If you crossed breeds and ended up with a roo and hens with big ole floppy combs what chicken is going fair better in 35 below weather? Chanteclers or the cross with big ole floppy combs? Crosses are not always going to be hardy.

If you crossed breeds and ended up with a roo and hens with big ole floppy combs what chicken is going fair better in 35 below weather? Chanteclers or the cross with big ole floppy combs? Crosses are not always going to be hardy.
Well, if you could tell me what a floppy comb means for a chicken, then I'd be able to answer the question.

Mutts are only hardy if you breed that mutt from hardy breeds.
A “mutt” is a very broad term. A cold hardy breed is hardier than your general mutt.
And any mutts your breed together for a long time become more closely related, like a breed.

Definitely not for money. There isn’t money in pure breeds.
Pure breeds keep valuable genetics for future generations. Pure breeds give you a consistent and desirable result.
A crossbreed may have strong vigor but any future generations won’t have the same effect. If you didn’t have two pure breeds bred for the traits you want in the first place, you can’t have a crossbreed. It’s not sustainable to constantly introduce new blood or crossbreed. So pure breeds are the solution.
Is it like... how many egg laying hybrids use a Rhode Island hen, and another breed to make an laying machine?

So, I would choice my pure breeds based on what I'd want from a hybrid, but I still have to select which hens and roosters are worth breeding to get the best trait I want.

Back
Top Bottom