Heritage White Dorking Thread

Yellow House Farm!
Can you recommend somebody in WA with white dorkings? Or where should I start looking?
Thanks for any input.

Yellow House Farm!
Can you recommend somebody in WA with white dorkings? Or where should I start looking?
Thanks for any input.
XW poultry farms Jeremy Woepple (Jwhip)on here has Wt.Dorkings just won best English at a show in Iowa with a nice pullet recently any way he is in Nebraska somewhat on your side of the Mississippi anyhow, LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Thank you you both!
I will look into it!
As much as I love Black Copper Marans, I am interested in Dorkins as well. Will check it out!

Trying to pick out a new breed for my self so I've got a ton of questions.
1) do they go broody?

2) can I get a good carcass by 5/6 months of age?

3) what's the laying ability like?

4) cold hardy?

5) good feed conversion ratio?

That's all I got for now. Thanks.

Trying to pick out a new breed for my self so I've got a ton of questions.
1) do they go broody? Yes, but like many, they are most reliable in late spring. In early/mid-spring they're fairly focused on laying. It's actually fairly easy to keep them from going broody even into the summer, but one must collect the eggs at least daily. A few days of laziness in june and you'll have three hens piled in on the eggs clucking away.

2) can I get a good carcass by 5/6 months of age? Yes, at that age you'll have an appropriate carcass for a heritage fowl.

3) what's the laying ability like? Pretty good considering that they're a dual-purpose bird with an emphasis on meat. They come into lay at an appropriate age and lay steadily until molt unless interrupted by a bout of the broody.

4) cold hardy? Very. We're in the middle of a second cold snap with several days at around 0 degrees. They're fine, and several pullets are still cranking out eggs.

5) good feed conversion ratio? This isn't something I can answer honestly. Nobody in the small-scale community really deals in feed conversion. That's actually a complicated system of feeding and record keeping that is owned by the commercial industry. There are home-grown ways to do it, too, but that's a whole different conversation. Perhaps a more appropriate question is are they good foragers, and the answer is yes. They are old-school foragers, like Games and Mediterranean fowl. They can glean a lot of their keep.

That's all I got for now. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom