he's ok now, but what do you think my dog's problem was?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Posting because I lack a good dog vet handbook (any recommendations?) and would like to have a better idea what this was, in case it recurs or can be avoided in future.

7 month old male yellow lab pup, otherwise-good health, developed very sudden profuse drool while hanging out in our backyard with us. Vomited maybe half a dozen times over the next hour, first time was normal vomit ('used' dogfood and some tiny fragments of the sticks that he chews and doesn't always *entirely* spit out) and subsequent ones were all just drooly-looking clear liquid, in large quantity. Had a couple of totally-liquid diarrhea squirts as well, translucent pale yellow and mucusy, SUPER liquid, honestly it looked like a female dog peeing. Sweaty paws for a couple hours. Checked mouth carefully, saw no sign of any problem anywhere and he is a *very* cooperative dog.

Aside from acting worried/nauseated at maximum-drool-and-about-to-vomit moments, and being generally a bit "sorry" and droopy for a couple hours, he had no obvious behavioral/neurological signs, and in fact at many points I think if you didn't know him well and didn't see the drool you wouldn't think anything was wrong, he was sniffing the wind and snapping at flies and wanting to annoy the cats. (e.t.a: There was no sign of mouth irritation or pain, no pawing or apparent discomfort or anything.)

Symptoms were worst at about 45-60 minutes after they started, and by 3 hours later he was seemingly fine again. (And remains so).

I am kind of assuming he ate something he shouldn't'a, but what? Does it sound like he could have been chewing on a toad, maybe? (We don't have cane toads up here obviously but do have 'regular' toads). Or is there some particular insect or plant or mushroom that affects dogs that way? I *seriously* do not see how it could have been any kind of manmade poison, as we don't have much on the property that COULD be a problem and certainly not out in the backyard.

(e.t.a. - of course this all started a half hour before he was supposed to leave for his second-ever obedience class; my husband ended up going anyway but dogless
tongue.png
)

Any suggestions appreciated,

Pat

Last edited:
lots of plants and bugs can cause this. Sounds like he got into some kind of irritant. I heard lady bugs can make them drool. Personally Ive never seen mine eat one. My lab snapped at a bee once that stung his mouth. That was fun. I say watch him. Sounds like he is better now, but when you are outside try to watch what he is eating and if it happens again maybe you can catch what it is.

Oh dear, Pat, I feel your pain! My black Lab is now 5, but those first 3 years?
th.gif
Everything was fair game for him. We have toads here like crazy and they have caused a reaction like that. He STLL eats them when he can. I have had many long discussions with the toads regarding this danger to them and set up quite a few places for them to hide, lol!

A word of caution - they don't ever completely grow out of eating strange things. Just last year Bingo ate a bag of used, poopy chicken bedding. (shavings) The result was an impacted bowel. Many days of Metamucil and mineral oil later the problem "passed", otherwise it would have been surgery.

On the good side, you have a great dog! Bingo has been really quick to learn words and hand signals, seems to understand a lot of things my hound doesn't.

I am kind of assuming he ate something he shouldn't'a, but what?

tiny fragments of the sticks that he chews

He could have had a splinter in his mouth or throat​

Quote:
Doubtful that it was a splinter, given the conditions, but I do keep sticks and scrap lumber away from the dogs, too.
I don't think a splinter would cause diarrhea, if it had the diarrhea would be possibly bloody. Especially since he was snapping at flies, using his mouth normally. I still suspect a toad because my Lab did eat many and had the same reactions.

Last edited:
I am thinking toad also.

We don't have the cane toads but what we do have makes our BC froth and drool like crazy - and she just picks them up to bring to me - cannot imagine what would come out the other end if she ate one.

The start of bloat that resloved itself?
When my Dane was starting to bloat he was drooling and pacing and vomiting some..and also gagging a bit....
We rushed him to the vets and they said they he was full of gas but that his stomach hadnt twisted...
Probably not it... but something to keep an eye out for...

Back
Top Bottom