Hey, all you lurkers! (I mean YOU!) Register and talk to us! - 2022 Edition

Pics
I think the issue is that when we google something, google may pull up an old thread relating to the topic. So it looks like it’s an old forum. For a long time I didn’t explore the site. Only read what was related to the question I had. I started exploring when I saw links to articles, or saw someone mention another thread.

I think it’s because it’s the old style forum and not what we are now used to with social media.

Interesting perspective that would never have crossed my mind.

I love this format because I've been on internet forums since dial-up Compuserve 30 years ago and find the new social media format difficult because it comes across to me as chaotic and unorganized.

It's all what you're used to. :)

The format is different and I’m still not sure how to quote people. I don’t mind it but I think that could be why some don’t join.

When you want to quote an entire post you can use the quote button at the bottom right. When you want to quote a portion of the post you highlight what you want to quote and hover for a moment and the quote button will show up.

At least that's how it works on the desktop. I only very rarely use this site on my phone because it's too small for my aging eyes. :D

The quote button clips out the text you want and stores it until you get down to the bottom, where you'll find the option to insert quotes in the reply box.

The reply button jumps over all the other posts and takes you straight to the reply box with the quoted text automatically inserted.

Yes.

Join is a better word, IMHO.
This is what I often do if I want to quote a part of the post. : quote, delete wat is not relevant and put in … to make ‘clear’ that something is missing.

Love the word join too! ❤️
Joining sounds very positive.
Registrate very administrative :sick

I wonder if you realize how many people want chickens and are thinking about getting them or maybe they live in an apartment and can't have them. You say lurkers like it's a bad thing when these people may just be searching for answers, interesting bird pictures, or just trying to find out what to buy.

You say lurkers like it's a bad thing
Sorry, can you point out where I said being a "lurker" is a bad thing? Then I can alter my post.

"lurkers" is a very established online forum / discussion-community term that refers to people who browse but don't join.

That's not a "bad thing"... it's just A thing. :)

Imagine someone comes over to your house to visit. You say: "OMG, you MUST try this chocolate!!"

Is it a "bad thing" if they don't? No.

Are they missing-out on a great thing? Possibly... but it really depends on if they like chocolate and if the chocolate is "good". ;)

So, we believe our "chocolate" (being a member of BYC) is the best out there.

... but "lurkers" choosing not to join isn't a "bad thing"... but it is possible they might be missing out on our chocolate! :D

Interesting perspective that would never have crossed my mind.

I love this format because I've been on internet forums since dial-up Compuserve 30 years ago and find the new social media format difficult because it comes across to me as chaotic and unorganized.

It's all what you're used to. :)

When you want to quote an entire post you can use the quote button at the bottom right. When you want to quote a portion of the post you highlight what you want to quote and hover for a moment and the quote button will show up.

At least that's how it works on the desktop. I only very rarely use this site on my phone because it's too small for my aging eyes. :D

The quote button clips out the text you want and stores it until you get down to the bottom, where you'll find the option to insert quotes in the reply box.

The reply button jumps over all the other posts and takes you straight to the reply box with the quoted text automatically inserted.
Thank you! I tend to get on this from my phone so that probably the issue.

Back
Top Bottom