Hey, all you lurkers! (I mean YOU!) Register and talk to us! - 2022 Edition

Pics
1674092748604.png

More new members than usual this year?
It's still pretty early in the season to tell, but so far we're at about where we were last year with new members per day.

I'm really hoping we see a lot more interest this year... especially with the egg-shortages and also there tends to be a correlation to people's perception of the economy and interest in raising backyard chickens.

I would think with the egg shortage going on now, more people are considering a backyard flock. More new members than usual this year?
Are the eggs more expensive or is it hard to buy any at all where you live?

Here the eggs are more expensive. But there are enough eggs to buy.

And even if an egg costs 50 ct each, its stil cheaper to buy them in the store if you (only) count all the the costs. Food + the costs of a decent coop and run. And other stuff you need like sand or shavings for bedding.

On the other hand chickens are such fun creatures to have around. And way cheaper than a dog or a cat. Who give you nothing but love or peculiar behaviour and a extravagant bill from te vet.

Are the eggs more expensive or is it hard to buy any at all where you live?

Here the eggs are more expensive. But there are enough eggs to buy.

And even if an egg costs 50 ct each, its stil cheaper to buy them in the store if you (only) count all the the costs. Food + the costs of a decent coop and run. And other stuff you need like sand or shavings for bedding.

On the other hand chickens are such fun creatures to have around. And way cheaper than a dog or a cat. Who give you nothing but love or peculiar behaviour and a extravagant bill from te vet.
So far eggs are still on the shelves here where I live but they cost between $5 and $6 a dozen.

I agree in that its no doubt cheaper in the long run to purchase eggs vs keeping your own chickens and all the expense involved. But as you say, keeping chickens is so enjoyable and once they get into your blood, there's no removing them. :D

But as you say, keeping chickens is so enjoyable and once they get into your blood, there's no removing them. :D
I died laughing out loud when I read those last two lines, because the image that immediately came to mind was the group of little feathered velociraptors standing around me and eyeballing/trying to peck at my recent minor bleeding knee wound. I understand that's not what you meant, but we who know chickens (and love them anyway) know that's how they are!🤣

I died laughing out loud when I read those last two lines, because the image that immediately came to mind was the group of little feathered velociraptors standing around me and eyeballing/trying to peck at my recent minor bleeding knee wound. I understand that's not what you meant, but we who know chickens (and love them anyway) know that's how they are!🤣
Oh they do love fresh bloody wounds. Honestly if you fell down in the coop, blacked out and were bleeding, they would probably eat you. :lol:

Oh they do love fresh bloody wounds. Honestly if you fell down in the coop, blacked out and were bleeding, they would probably eat you. :lol:
Promise:
The next cockerel, I probably get with my plans to give some fertilised egg to a broody, will be called T.Rex. Should be easier to say goodbay , shen i need to rehome the little bantam dinosaur.

Sorry for getting off-tooic.

Back
Top Bottom