Hey! Anyone eat Geese?

serendipity22

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
NC
So...

I know folks eat geese. But does it matter what kind? Are there any special tricks to fattening them up or butchering them?

Do you butcher them at any specific age?

**I've got Chinese White Geese that like to try and run after me. Every time, I size them up for a pot...

geese have a fat layer and will be very fatty if not cooked properly.

before cooking, poke holes all over the flesh with a fork. the fat will cook and melt, creating a self-basting bird.

i had mine butchered at a processor because it was so cold out, but it's not hard.

there is not as much meat as one would expect for the size of bird. it wont be like a turkey. the meat is all dark meat. it has the taste and texture of roast beef in a way.

Quote:
If sizing them up for a pot causes them to chase you,,,,,,,quit sizing them up !!!!
lau.gif

I have eaten many different breeds ,, and the worst one was just delishious !!!!!!!

I like to finish them up with natural feed,,,like cracked corn.

I don't think it matters what kind. I have embdens because someone was selling them for $5 each! I butchered one for christmas and it was delicious! We just cooked the breasts and froze the leg/thigh for later. Not greasy at all if you poke the skin to let fat out! I fed a finisher ration (along with outdoor access) and whole corn. I think she was 6 monthes old. Dry plucked her in 15 degree windchill (never again!).
I made schmaltz from the fat and cooked the rest of the carcass down for my spoiled dogs to eat. karla

Quote:
If sizing them up for a pot causes them to chase you,,,,,,,quit sizing them up !!!!
lau.gif

I have eaten many different breeds ,, and the worst one was just delishious !!!!!!!

I like to finish them up with natural feed,,,like cracked corn.

Too Funny!

I guess I'd chase after someone thinking about eating me too!

Thanks for the info, folks!

Back
Top Bottom