Hey! Anyone eat Geese?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by serendipity22, Mar 8, 2009.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    So...

I know folks eat geese. But does it matter what kind? Are there any special tricks to fattening them up or butchering them?

Do you butcher them at any specific age?

**I've got Chinese White Geese that like to try and run after me. Every time, I size them up for a pot...

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    meat bird crumbles get them good and fat, from what i hear.
    never eaten them, though
    so keep me updated

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    geese have a fat layer and will be very fatty if not cooked properly.

before cooking, poke holes all over the flesh with a fork. the fat will cook and melt, creating a self-basting bird.

i had mine butchered at a processor because it was so cold out, but it's not hard.

there is not as much meat as one would expect for the size of bird. it wont be like a turkey. the meat is all dark meat. it has the taste and texture of roast beef in a way.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:If sizing them up for a pot causes them to chase you,,,,,,,quit sizing them up !!!![​IMG]

I have eaten many different breeds ,, and the worst one was just delishious !!!!!!!

I like to finish them up with natural feed,,,like cracked corn.

5. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    I don't think it matters what kind. I have embdens because someone was selling them for $5 each! I butchered one for christmas and it was delicious! We just cooked the breasts and froze the leg/thigh for later. Not greasy at all if you poke the skin to let fat out! I fed a finisher ration (along with outdoor access) and whole corn. I think she was 6 monthes old. Dry plucked her in 15 degree windchill (never again!).
    I made schmaltz from the fat and cooked the rest of the carcass down for my spoiled dogs to eat. karla

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Quote:If sizing them up for a pot causes them to chase you,,,,,,,quit sizing them up !!!![​IMG]

I have eaten many different breeds ,, and the worst one was just delishious !!!!!!!

I like to finish them up with natural feed,,,like cracked corn.

Too Funny!

I guess I'd chase after someone thinking about eating me too!

Thanks for the info, folks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by