Hey can anyone help me figure out what breed or mix this rooster is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmingForFun, Feb 4, 2012.

1. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry the pictures are not the best quality its the best I could do this morning. I was given this rooster and I would like to know what breed/ mix he is. I would like to set hime up in his own flock what breeds of chickens do you think he would mix best with?

2. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are his feet feathered?

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    EE mix?

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    First thing that strikes me is a Langshan mix - especially with the feathered feet and body/tail carriage.

He could be an EE but he doesn't really strike me that way. I can't tell if the legs are black or slate, and he doesn't have muffs/beard. Though his comb does look like it could be a peaXstraight.

5. FarmingForFun

Jan 31, 2012
    Yes he does have feathered legs.
    Langshan mix seems spot on! I looks up some pictures of langshan mixed roosters, and he looks just like them. The guy that gave him to me said he had some silkie in him so a silkieXlangshan?

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    don't know what breed/mix he is, but he sure is pretty!! [​IMG]

7. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    He's beautiful and I can definately see the langshan in him, but I don't see silkie. Gorgeous rooster

8. FarmingForFun

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks! I will try to find some langshan/langshanX ladies to put him with. He has a few girlfriends now a couple of EE's and a Barred, but my dominique rooster has the majority of the flock under his wing. I want to let my dominique hens hatch some chicks out so I need him preoccupied. I was looking to put this guy with some ladies that will make pretty babies if they ever hatch some of there eggs. Again thanks for the info! After I looked at some langshanX roosters I believe that is what he is! And maybe I will let the EE's and Barred go with him since they seem to fancy him!

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    He doesn't come at me like a F1 silkie/langshan cross. How many toes does he have?

10. FarmingForFun

Jan 31, 2012
    I looked tonight and he has four toes so I guess no silkie in him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by