1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey!, Come in out of the rain!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michigan Chickman, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I'm in SW Michigan. Since last night we've gotten (by my rain guage) 4+ inches of rain! I get home from work tonight and the run is a mud bog and all 34 of RIRs are running around outside in the pouring rain! They look like drowned rats, the coop is open and dry but Nooooo [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    It's the same here in Missouri w/tornado activity [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it was crazy rainy today! (i'm north of Lapeer)

mine did have good sense and stayed out of it, but some days....[​IMG]

was it super muggy hot there too after that crazy cold morning snap???

5. Michigan Chickman

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Goofy chickens! I just went and put them to bed (shut the coop door) and they were all in their spots purring [​IMG] I guess a wet chicken is a happy chicken [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You're a nicer chicken owner than me! I won't let mine out when it's pouring down rain. They just have to stare out the window for the day and wait for the rain to stop. [​IMG] Maybe I just need to be braver and let those chickens out to play!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. Michigan Chickman

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    VERY muggy! In fact we have the windows open right now and even my DW thinks its hot in here! This is the same woman that will pop a sweatshirt on 'cuz she's chilly in the middle of July [​IMG] so I know its nasty muggy.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Watch them next time and see if this old wive's tale is true...we have found it to be so at my chicken ranch!

If they run and cower, just a brief shower, if they stay and play, rain all day.

Or something like that, not sure of the correct wording, but it definitely holds true at our house!

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well at least its still fairly warm weather, not cold rain, and they wont melt.[​IMG]

10. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i have 2 buffs that stay almost twice as far from home when it's raining. yesterday i found them 2 houses up the road.all 24 of my chickens seam to love it out in the rain.i leave the coop and run open for them even tho they dont see it nessisary to get out of the rain.my roosters crow sounds alittle strange when he's soaked to the bone...i have to just laugh when i see them all looking like drowned rats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by