Hey everyone!

LaSwampChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
Louisiana
Just got a couple barred rock chicks from the local feed store. I grew up on a cattle farm and enjoyed my egg picking duties as a child. I'm looking to give my son the same opportunity. He is 3 and LOVES the new peeps! Which is awesome BUT has also led to our first boo boo lol one of the chicks had a rough case of pasty butt so I told my son to watch them but don't touch while I go get some q-tips and a bowl of warm water to get the poo off the baby chic... I returned to a pasty butt-free chic with a bald spot for a down!! It's not that bad but definitely a tiny bald spot. I'm sure it will grow back and yes I cleaned it up and my brooding box is toasty and dry. I was hoping to possibly let him show one of them at the parish fair in a year or two, will her down be affected any by the time she is an older hen? Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about that bald spot - when you aren't going to show for a year or two. Chicks/chickens - molt and will regrow new feathers, often in different colors than they are born with.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X3 on drumstick diva's advice.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard. I commend you having your son involved in raising animals - its something that, like you he will never forget.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

It's great to get kids involved in raising any sort of animal and chickens are fun ones. Those little chick feathers will be long gone in a year or two so no worries about a bald spot.

Have fun and if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom