Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Last night I made one of husband's favorite things Risotto. Had some sausage that I combined with homegrown red onion, artichoke hearts (I steamed they first) and peas, then added store bought red bell pepper. Topped all that with fresh homemade Goat cheese and it was very good.

Today my husband is smoking one of our meat birds and I'll make some type of potato side or may be Couscous.

Sandee

Hi all. How was Father's Day yesterday? How did you all celebrate? We ended up eating out for two meals, though it wasn't entirely to celebrate Father's Day. For breakfast we went out to one of our favorite breakfast places and then for dinner we went to one of our favorite Chinese places. The Chinese place is more expensive than we usually budget for dinner, but we were celebrating Father's Day, the end of the school year, and our son's birthday that was earlier in the month. Delish! But, I'll be drinking water all day and trying to sweat out some of that sodium in Zumba this morning.
tongue.png

thechickenchick - I hadn't heard about the Rocco Dispirito cookbook but will check that out. It sounds like the way we prefer to eat, so I'm definitely interested. I'm sorry your camping trip was disrupted.

Kim_NC - Yay for veggie gardens! What all do you grow each year? Sounds like a wonderful meal!

menageriemama - Congrats on finishing your program. Do you feel any difference? That pie sounds fabulous! Rhubarb is my hubby's favorite.

Dragonfly Ranch - Ya just had to tempt me with the potato chips, didn't ya?!
lol.png
They do sound delicious! I agree with your husband on Risotto, though my standards are pretty high for a very good reason.
wink.png
The first time I had Risotto was this . . . My husband and I had gone to Europe to do some traveling and to visit family. I'm 1/4 Swiss and had been up in the northeastern part of the country visiting our relatives when they suggested that we travel down to the southern part of Switzerland to visit their daughter, son-in-law, and their children. They live in an absolutely amazingly beautiful part of Switzerland called Lugano in the Canton of Ticino where the local language is Italian. My cousin's husband is from Italy and has the hobby of harvesting wild mushrooms he finds in the forests on his hikes. So, while we were taking a beautiful train ride through the alps to get to Lugano, Giacomo was out hunting for wild mushrooms for the risotto he was going to make us. Not only was this the most amazing risotto, but we ate it on their balcony with a view of Lake Lugano. The whole package was amazing! So, since then I've had some pretty tasty risotto, but never with that kind of magic! Just thinking about risotto takes me right back there!

DawnSuiter - Good to see you here again! I always love hearing about your "eating local" experiences. I'm doing much better on that than in years past, but have a ways to go. Living in the city doesn't help with that since I can't grow enough food to feed us throughout the year, especially meat. But, there is a guy who lives about a mile or so from us, within county rather than city property and I've loved watching what he's doing on his property. He's a bit more daring than I, though. He's got a sustainable carp operation going on. I like fish, but I'm just not sure about carp!
hmm.png

Equus5O - I'll have to try that Gump bread one of these days. You make it sound so tempting!

Tonight is the kids' Monday Night Cooking Class. They wanted to learn to grill, so they're making BBQ'd burgers. They're serving that with watermelon. Dessert will be Bread Pudding.

BackYard Buddies - what a great story and wonderful memories. Yes, wild mushrooms would be wonderful.

On Friday my husband smoked one of our meat birds which we will have in several meals over the next few days. Saturday we had it in a salad of homegrown Arugula. tomato, basil and lettuce. Then added store bought Mozzarella (I really need to learn how to make my own) - topped with locally grown and pressed Organic Olive Oil that has a wonderful grassy taste.

Sunday I made a Ravioli with a filling of the Smoked chicken, green onions and a teaspoon of homemade Plum Jelly to add another layer of flavor. Topped with a Butter Sage sauce. They were good size Ravioli and we had 9 each but we could have eaten twice that they were so good. A side salad of Mozzarella, homegrown greenhouse tomato and basil, topped with Balsamic and that good Olive Oil. Should have bought the larger bottle.

Tonight I have a million things to do - so probably some quick smoked chicken tacos.

Oooo now I'm hungry

Sandee

i dont know whats for dinner tonight because hubby is taking me out for my Birthday
wee.gif
no cooking tonight

I like to bake these recipes together...they can bake in the oven at the same time and when you finish your supper you can have a piece of warm pound cake with your cup of coffee.

Hamburger and Potatoes
Recipe from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
· 1 pound lean ground beef
· 3 cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
· 1 chopped onion
· 3 cloves minced garlic
· 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
· 1 cup milk
· 1/2 cup sour cream
· 2 cups frozen corn
· 1 cup frozen peas
· 1/2 pound frozen carrots
· Salt to taste
· Freshly ground pepper, to taste
· 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onions and garlic. Stir in corn, peas and carrots and simmer until water has evaporated; season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium-mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and milk.
4. Alternately layer the potatoes, soup mixture and meat in a 11x7 inch (2 quart) baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Top with Cheddar cheese, and continue baking until cheese is melted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10 Egg Pound Cake

3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
10 large eggs
2 sticks butter – softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2-cup sour cream
1/2-teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°
Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl...
Beat 5 minutes on high speed
Pour batter into WELL-greased and floured large tube or bunt pan OR 1/2 sheet pan.
Bake 350° for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

HAPPY B-Day, Dar!!!

I am grilling Chicken Under a Brick tonight.

I bought a fryer and was going to cut it up for separate meals, but decided to grill it this way and then freeze any leftovers I don't finish during the week.

Right now fryer is marinating in olive oil, garlic & oregano from the garden.

It will be served with grilled new potatoes. Not from the garden yet, the Yukon Golds are only marble-sized now.
I planted late : (
But I will have a green salad made from rainbow chard I harvested this weekend - I love the young chard for salads it is so tender I even chop the stalks.

I may hardboil an agg to serve chopped over the greens.
Seems nobody told my hens they have to slow down laying when they molt - coop is full of feathers but they keep right on cranking them out!

Back
Top Bottom