Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Have company for the next three days and trying to complete things for Christmas and make sure everyone is fed. So made Chicken Marsala for dinner last night and Chicken enchiladas tonight. Found a new recipe for refried beans in the slower cooker and they are wonderful. We will never buy store bought beans again.

Sandee

Nice and easy.... I made Meatloaf last night with mash and onion gravy, and some steamed carrots. This should last us through Christmas Eve. I am picking up the ham today, and then making fresh mashed potatoes and veggies, and rolls for Christmas Day. Its just us this year so we are keeping it simple.

Last edited:
Homemade pizza tonight. I am making Lasagna and Garlic bread to take to my Aunts for Christmas eve. I think turkey is her plan for Christmas day. I can feel my pants getting tighter already!
lol.png

Quote:
Ohhhh, please share! I've been steering away from canned products lately, trying to cut down some of the sodium in my diet (most of us get 3 or more times the recommended daily sodium, putting us at risk for high blood pressure and other not so good things), so I'd love to make my own refried beans. Plus, they taste better, too!

Quote:
Ohhhh, please share! I've been steering away from canned products lately, trying to cut down some of the sodium in my diet (most of us get 3 or more times the recommended daily sodium, putting us at risk for high blood pressure and other not so good things), so I'd love to make my own refried beans. Plus, they taste better, too!

Here is the recipe. To mash them I used my hand mixer and it was a lot easier then trying to use a potato masher. For the extra I'm going to freeze in small barches in Zip Lock type bag. This recipe is from All Recipes.com rated 4 7/8 out 5 by 539 reviewers - there were some reviews that complained about too much salt - so you might want to cut it back a bit. I didn't notice it in the batch I made. Enjoy Sandee

Refried Beans Without the Refry

Ingredients:
1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and
chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
9 cups water

Directions:
1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

French onion soup tonight, served in homemade bread bowls. Lots of ooey gooey cheese.

Some great meals being cooked here, as usual, even if it is a bit tough to track down this thread.

Merry Christmas to all.

And a Happy New Year.

Back
Top Bottom