Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Tonight we are having oven fried chicken from our very first CornishX we processed on Sunday, very excited as to how it turns out!! Only 1/2 hour to go!!! Also zucchini from the garden, and red potatoes baked.

Quote:
Please post back on how that chicken comes out! Did you soak it, brine it? Was it tender? I want to get some myself and I'm always interested to hear how they really taste from the "backyard"! Enjoy!

The chicken was great! Pretty tender except that I overcooked the breasts a little, but still not bad. I am shamed to say I didn't know how to cut up a chicken, I always usually just buy chicken already in pieces. I didn't know how to cut off the breasts still on bone so I just sliced them off and had them boneless, but everything else was bone-in and I forgot to pull the breasts out early. The were still tender tho. I didn't soak or brine, just let it rest in the fridge for about 48 hours like I read on here. IMHO the meat was finer grained than store bought and quite tasty. This was our very first "backyard" chicken dinner, and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without reading all the advice from the forums here! I wil be sure to read the "how to cut up a chicken" section of the forum before we cook the rest
wink.png
I am pleased with how the meat chicken experiment went and will do more this fall.
Also the hubby just skinned the WHOLE chicken instead of scalding and plucking, that way we didn't have to worry about scalding and plucking, which was the part I was dreading. We don't eat the skin anyways and for 4 birds seemed the easiest way!!

Quote:
Glad to hear that your homegrown chicken was good. We have done them for two years now and really enjoy the idea of knowing where the chicken came from and how it was cared for. This fall you might try the scaling and plucking thing. I was not a fan of plucking the first year either but just "gotter done" and it wasn't too bad. We skinned some of ours this year thinking it would be easier and then my husband watched a U Tube on how to pluck and he said it was 10 times easier. The trick has to do with the water temperature. If you are interested I'll ask him which video he watched.

We don't really think we could eat store bought chicken. The homegrown chicken as with most homegrown items are so much better.

Sandee

Pork tacos tonight. I was in deep trouble yesterday. I forgot it was "Mexican night" or "Taco Tuesday". DH came home expecting tacos and instead got chicken chili. It did turn out pretty good though so I was forgiven... as long as there is tacos when he comes home tonight!

Glad to hear that your homegrown chicken was good. We have done them for two years now and really enjoy the idea of knowing where the chicken came from and how it was cared for. This fall you might try the scaling and plucking thing. I was not a fan of plucking the first year either but just "gotter done" and it wasn't too bad. We skinned some of ours this year thinking it would be easier and then my husband watched a U Tube on how to pluck and he said it was 10 times easier. The trick has to do with the water temperature. If you are interested I'll ask him which video he watched.

We don't really think we could eat store bought chicken. The homegrown chicken as with most homegrown items are so much better.

Sandee

Thanks, that would be great if you could let me know what video. I would like to have some with skin to roast but wasn't sure it was worth it for 4 chickens. The scalding part seemed the most intimidating, I don't have any type of outdoor stove and didn't want dripping, stinky wet chicken mess in my kitchen!!! LOL And I agree the home chicken was much better, too bad we only ended up with two as the parents on both our sides each wanted to try one!​

Quote:
Great video by Pampered Chef showing how to cut up a chicken on YouTube:

I skin a lot of birds for personal use too...mostly DP roosters. Cornish X we usually pluck or send to a processor in large groups. We raise Cornish X to sell - most buyers want the skin intact.

ETA: Last night's supper was a little eclectic! LOL

Steamed Shrimp
Stir-fried Bok Choy (from garden)
Steamed Cauliflower (from garden)
Kohlrabi, tomato and cucumber with Ranch dressing

Last edited:
Last night we just had grilled steak and baked potatoes. No cooking today, we both work different times and so wont be home for a main meal. Think I'll have baked catfish when I get home. On a side note, I never liked baked fish, always had to bread it and fry it. Then I discovered "Bakin' Magic". It's a mix (like shake and bake but so much better) that you bread your fish with then bake, It turns out almost as good as fried without the extra calories. Yum, wish I could figure out how to make "baking magic" at home.

Back
Top Bottom