Hey Mr.Nifty!!

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
I was wondering since you added new smileys..is there a way to hide them & show them when needed? They had that that on the old board..since I'm on dial up for some reason it makes my cursor blink & slows down my already slow typing speed! Or is it my computer?
Hey and thanks again sooo much for all the wonderful work you've done here!! Much appreciated!
Thanks,Miriam

YAAAYYY!
D.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
gig.gif

If you go into your profile, click display, you'll see
Show smilies as graphic icons.
uncheck that box and it should turn them off.

There's also (below the message box) a box you can check when you are posting a message:
Never show smilies as icons for this post

bayouchica,

You hit on something I've been wrestling with way before adding the new smilies: Balancing showing a bunch of smilies while not making the reply page hard to load / use.

ezboard "hides" the smilies which is kinda cool, but even though hidden, they are always downloaded which can slow down your post replies page (especially on dialup).

A few thoughts:

1) I had my programmer build in the ability for me to only show xx number of smilies for clicking and the rest could be available by just entering the smiley code. Not as much fun, but an option.

2) When you hit the replies page you can click on any of the smilies and it will stop the animation which should fix any cursor blinky problems.

3) It may be really tricky, but I can maybe pay my programmer to create some kind of popup window that you can click to get "extended or extra" smilies.

Just like many other things on this board there are and will be tradeoffs. One of my main goals is to make the site as accessible to as many people as possible.

Mr.Nifty, I'm trying not be be a pain... really!! You don't have to go out of your way,okay. I"m trying not to spoil this for everyone else.
Hi, Dipsy Doodle Doo, I tired what ya suggested but I only have this problem when I am posting a reply,not when I'm reading a post.
barnie.gif

Thank you both, Miriam

Miriam, no pain at all. I figure for each person that says something there are a dozen more that are thinking it but not saying anything.

It's also something I think about too and hope to some day have a solution for.

Phooey! I don't find them enjoyable myself and hoped it would turn them off, but I see it didn't.
Lol, I find it difficult to concentrate on what I'm typing with them jumping around above the message box. I guess with time I can tune them out.

Hey all! I think I've found a solution that is best of both worlds.

You'll notice when you reply to a thread that the format is a little different. It addresses some of the issues mentioned in the thread below.

Basically, all of the extra smilies are hidden by default when you reply, but you can click "show" and you'll have access to all of them.

Please reply and let me know what you think about this change. How does it look? Is it working on your computer / browser? Any feedback / suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom