Hey Wisconsin, cor x outside when???

raimnel

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2009
in Wisconsin somewhere
How early can I order cornish X here in Wisconsin? I have them on order for mid May, but can I get them sooner? What temps outside are ok for these guys? I was going to put them in a tractor when their 2 weeks ish. It will be late May. can I go for order end of April outside beginning of May?

Last edited:

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I am not sure where you are in Wisconsin but I am in Port Washington between Milwaukee and Sheboygan right on lake Michigan. I have 80 arriving between March 29 - April 3. They will be outside from day one in a moveable tractor that will be wrapped in plastic and have heat lamps. Once I feel it is good enough plastic comes off and lights go out. Should be 2 - 3 weeks for them to fully feather.

If you plan on raising them inside you can start now. But I would recommend against it with the stink and poo that they create.

Hope that helps.

Ang

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
West Central Illinois
Outside as soon as possible! They stink and you cannot change their bedding fast enough. We started brooding them outside last year. What a relief! Just be sure to use heat lamps and block the wind somehow. We converted a room in our barn to a brooder. Is warm, draft free and secure. And the smell and dust stays outside!

raimnel

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2009
in Wisconsin somewhere
Thank you!
I'm in the appleton area. you think maybe outside mid May at 2 weeks old in a pvc tractor with a tarp on 1 end and 1 tarp that goes on the other end at night with a light??? hum? I'm trying to get 2 batches in this summer. most of my 1st batch is already sold and they aint even hatched yet!!!
ya.gif

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
Technically, they can handle freezing temps according to Joel Saladin at 3 weeks, but I (in Michigan,) keep them under heat until it's actually WARM at night. Although hot temps in the day can kill them, I feel they do better when not stressed by cold at night, so I'll put them out in the tractor, with a light on only at night. Sometimes, if I'm sick of them being in the barn, I'll cover my tractor with up to three layers of tarps/blankets and put a few heat lamps in with them at night. Using that method, I put my fall birds out at two weeks when it was cold during the days and well below freezing at night.

Top Bottom