HHD incubator help

I have an hdd incubator and I can't seen to adjust the low temperature setting higher than 30. Any tips?

Hi Mattjanky, I also can't adjust mine any higher than 30.
I have an hdd incubator and I can't seen to adjust the low temperature setting higher than 30. Any tips?
I also can't adjust mine any higher...???? But I have found that it keeps its temp VERY WELL. So adjusting the low temp is unnecessary. I kept mine in the Styrofoam clam it was packed in and cut out so I could see the display and it only varies 2/10's. I with it in its clam I set it at 38.1 and at the center and middle of egg I get a temp of 99.4F. Humidity is a bit more of an issue and I use a separate hygrometer that is accurate and the has seems to be off by 4% sometimes and 10% other times. Aslo adding a little water at a time was good for me because it seems it takes quite some time for the humidity to rise. Hope tis helped.

Depending on the model, the thermostat can actually be calibrated. I don't have my book in front of me, but there are instructions inside. And by calibrated, I mean you find the actual temp that the incubator is reaching and then adjust the displayed temp to match so your settings are more accurate.

I have acquired 5 of the HHD and one generic model. Most of them were made by the Janoel Company with identical controls. I'm referring to the slanted back control panel type. You can program AL;AH;AS;CA;HS; and LS. Since it uses a seven segment display a 5 represents an S in all cases.
AL is Alarm low point. When the temp drops below the set point this much it will alarm by beeping and blinking. I set mine at 1.0 Deg C.
AH is Alarm high point. When the temp gets above the set point this much it will alarm. I set mine to 1.0 Deg C.
So now my unit will alarm if below 36.8 or above 38.8 because my temp setting is 37.8.
AS is the alarm for the Humidity. It will go into alarm when the humidity gets below the number you set here. I set mine all the way down to 1 because I hate alarms. This incubator does not control the humidity. It only shows you the value.
One note on controlling the humidity. As mentioned in several posts it is the area that the water is spread out that determines the humidity not how deep the water is. The water in any channel should never be so high that a chick would drown by putting it's beak thru the grid if the egg tray is removed and you are hatching in the unit. A 1/8 inch deep water area spread out everywhere on the bottom will result in a much higher humidity value than one channel filled completely full.
CA is how you calibrate the temperature. For example, if the heat led turns off at 37.8 but you measure 36 inside with an accurate thermometer then you would enter a -1.8 in the CA value. It allows you the keep the 37.8 set point and compensates for the unit's temperature error.
HS is the highest temperature anyone can accidently set.
LS is the lowest temperature anyone can accidently set.

Let's say you enter 36.5 for LS and 38.5 for the HS. Now when you press the set button one time to set the operating temperature you will only be able to enter a setting between 36.5 and 38.5. Try it to prove I'm right.

Remember that the operating temperature (37.8)(100 deg) is set by pressing the Set button once briefly and then the + or - to enter your set point. I always press the Set once again to save it but it's supposed to save it automatically after the Set button times out.
If you have any other specific questions just send me a message.

Last edited:
Hi,
i just bought a new HHD 32 egg incubator and try it for the first time.
i putt inside some eggs and put water in all water channels and adjusted the heat for 37.6 degrees but can't get humidity up than 48-53%.
i'll appreciate any help...

@ohad What are you using to measure the humidity?

That is plenty high for incubation. I usually keep mine somewhere in the 30s or 40s for incubation, not adding any water until they are close to hatching.
hi,
thank you for answering.
i use the original incubator thermometer.
in the incubator instructions it said that the humidity needs to be 60% for first 18 days and than should increase it to 65%.
isn't it right?

No, that is very high. Some people do incubate in the 50s but I do not. I think part of it also depends where you live, in regards to humidity and altitude. Like I said, I incubate in the 30-40s and then hatch in the at around 70 (usually 65-75ish). I actually don't even monitor humidity anymore. Get good at candling and you will be able to tell if they are too dry or too wet, and that is the best gauge to use. If you insist on seeing numbers, get another humidity gauge.

BTW, which incubator model do you have? Can you describe it (yellow top, clear top, etc)

Last edited:
I have 2 Rcom 20 type incubators besides some Chinese yellow top models. The Rcoms are preprogrammed for different birds. For Chickens they keep the humidity at 45% for the first 19 days and then raise it to 65% for hatching. I have a very high hatch rate in them but they cost about 5 times more than your HHD.

SunHwaKwon is 100% correct in the response. A chick has to have enough room to peck it's way around in a circle to get out of the shell. The humidity will control the size of the
air pocket on the big end of the egg. Incubator basics are pocket too small on 18th day-humidity to high. Egg hatches before 21st day-temp too high. Egg hatches late-temp too low.

Back
Top Bottom