Hi Again! Coop question & Town crazies!

Mariagrazia16

Chirping
Apr 1, 2023
Hi!
When I introduced myself I told you about renting chickens and mentioned my town ordinance. I have a few questions I am hoping for some guidance.

I'm attaching pictures of the 3x6 coop Rent the Chicken provides. I am getting 4 hens. The town tells me it's not big enough. Can I get feedback from you guys, is it too small for 4 chickens? I am not supposed to allow them to free range at all in my yard (which is pretty large for our town, 1/3 of an acre) I have my doubts that it's too small too.

Then the zoning officer in town tells me one of my hens will become a rooster. Seriously, she said I have to come up with a plan for when the alpha hen's sex changes and it begins to crow. Am I crazy, but a hen can't change her sex right??

Thanks!!
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Yes, that's too small for 4 birds to be contained within 24/7.

No, chickens can NOT change sex. I don't care what your social or political beliefs may be, a hen won't suddenly develop gonads and start producing fertile eggs with other hens.

That said, it *IS* known for all hen flocks to have a dominant hen begin to show "male" behaviors such as crowing - that doesn't make them a rooster, it just means we humans labeled a behavior as "male" in our ignorance. Ships aren't "she" either, no matter what the claims of the various Romance languages and their successors.

Beyond that? Depends on your zoning.

Yes, that's too small for 4 birds to be contained within 24/7.

No, chickens can NOT change sex. I don't care what your social or political beliefs may be, a hen won't suddenly develop gonads and start producing fertile eggs with other hens.

That said, it *IS* known for all hen flocks to have a dominant hen begin to show "male" behaviors such as crowing - that doesn't make them a rooster, it just means we humans labeled a behavior as "male" in our ignorance. Ships aren't "she" either, no matter what the claims of the various Romance languages and their successors.

Beyond that? Depends on your zoning.
Thanks! I can get a fence run to attach to it, but I think I would be better off with something bigger all around.

The zoning officer insisted the hen would physically change to a rooster which is nuts. I tried to explain a hen would be the alpha but it wouldn't physically turn into a rooster and she said I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked her if she raised chickens and she said no. It's nuts!

Thanks! I can get a fence run to attach to it, but I think I would be better off with something bigger all around.

The zoning officer insisted the hen would physically change to a rooster which is nuts. I tried to explain a hen would be the alpha but it wouldn't physically turn into a rooster and she said I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked her if she raised chickens and she said no. It's nuts!

Send the zoning officer here. We'd be happy to explain it them, as a courtesy to the entire community they are minor bureaucrat for. (did I spell that right? I hate that word.)

They need more way space and protection if in a cold climate. In a small space you will see them start to feather pick and probably fight eventually.

As for the hen turning into a rooster, that does not happen. Ask her to point you to a credible resource for that information. Or point her to BYC for many experienced responses.

Is the idea that you will use the coop like a tractor, and move the birds from one section of grass to another, destroying your yard one section at a time (and leaving fertilizer behind to compost and eventually restore the soil? On can you build a more permanent structure in your zoning?

If permanent, what's your budget, how are your skills/tools, and do you have setbacks or other zoning/appearance considerations??? Also, what's the largest flock you can imagine yourself having in the reasonable future? (that is, does your zoning limit you to just 4 or 6 birds)?

Is the idea that you will use the coop like a tractor, and move the birds from one section of grass to another, destroying your yard one section at a time (and leaving fertilizer behind to compost and eventually restore the soil? On can you build a more permanent structure in your zoning?

If permanent, what's your budget, how are your skills/tools, and do you have setbacks or other zoning/appearance considerations??? Also, what's the largest flock you can imagine yourself having in the reasonable future? (that is, does your zoning limit you to just 4 or 6 birds)?
I wasn't planning on moving it. I can have up to 12 hens on my property according to the ordinance.

Based on comments my husband feels we'd be better off doing our own coop and not renting (yay! I got him fully on board!)

Back
Top Bottom