Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GertieGirls Mom, Sep 25, 2018.

1. GertieGirls Mom

GertieGirls Mom In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2018
    Here’s a photo of Gertie with some of the others. The one on the left that she’s staring at is the troublemaker. I have a feeling it’s a rooster.

Attached Files:

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Space can be the problem. You may have to have a second "run" area and small coop for your favorite girl. Do it if you have to, it's worth it! Find the chicken she gets along with the best and put them together alone. I've had to do that and have a second run and coop and a third small enclosed area (4'x8') for special needs that may pop up like a broody hen. Some chickens just don't get along and to keep everyone happy and safe you have to "spend a penny"! Don't get discouraged and good luck!

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Not necessarily. Hens will square off too. What's interesting is she's willing to go toe to toe. CX generally are submissive of any pecking order issue so she's likely a ross or cobb strain. That means you can likely keep her longer as long as she doesn't over eat and continues to exercise with the flock. Less food more foraging is a good thing.

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :frowHiya
    Nice to meet you!
    Could you provide some type of a hide out or some obstacles to run around to give her a chance to get away. Chickens can get vicious especially once they get fixated on a target. Something triggers in their tiny brains... I’ve even seen it over a plant/bush too they individually could care less but get a pecking competition going and they will destroy it.
    I couldn’t handle one of my pets attacking another. I’d separate or rehome.

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! :frow

rjohns39 and GertieGirls Mom like this.
  6. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    Thank you!

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    I’ve been keeping her and another hen separated in another coop at night. They all seem to be ok out in the yard together during the day. It’s only one that is a bully, I think it may be a rooster.

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :barnieI say BYE BYE BULLY!!!

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    She’s a riot! Today she was not taking any abuse, she got real close and just towered over the bully like “don’t even think of doing that again”. It was pretty funny.
    She doesn’t really seem to be overeating as much as she did in the beginning, and I take her food out about 7pm... so fingers crossed!

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    I’m praying things will resolve

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: