Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GertieGirls Mom, Sep 25, 2018.

1. GertieGirls Mom

GertieGirls Mom In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2018
    Thank you!

puffypoo22, rjohns39 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    I’m leaving her alone tonight, just to let her heal a bit..I think I have a couple that may be kind to her.
    I’m going to try tomorrow.
    I’m hoping that with a controlled diet and exercise, that I can have her around for a bit. I love her so!

3. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    I didn’t know that she was a meat bird, I just moved to the eastern shore ~ chicken county! But I thought the farms over fed them, I didn’t realize that they were bred to over eat and die. I thought they could just be raised happily and not eaten. I’m horrified about this actually.

4. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    Oops~ I DID know she was a meat bird.

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal Flock! :celebrate

6. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry. I know it just doesn't seem fair about certain breeding. With a little bit of extra care she can have a happy life :love You seem like a very good chicken mom!
    And if she's really just a regular Cornish, they don't suffer the same health problems as the cross.

Welcome to BYC, by the way!
    Good luck with your flock!
    byc-spin-chick.gif

puffypoo22 and rjohns39 like this.
  7. Silkie_Mom

Silkie_Mom Songster

Oct 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Aww, welcome to the chicken family! There's lots of good info floating around on the site. You'll be a chicken pro in no time :jumpy Pecking order can be a bit rough on chickens. Almost always it looks worse than it really is. Separate her until her wounds scab up a bit and try again. Chickens are attracted to red things (aka blood) that's why most feeders/waterers are red. So as long as she's bleeding, they'll keep picking at her. She has to find her spot in the chicken chain. Everyone wants to be top chicken!

puffypoo22, rjohns39 and Pork Pie like this.
  8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    puffypoo22 and rjohns39 like this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

Post some pictures of your birds, especially the Cornish X. You're on the right track btw, exercise reduced diet are key. It's also best to start a CX on an 18% protein rather than the higher levels found in starter. Often it's called a broiler mix. Since you're going for longevity, dial it back to about 16% (all flock) after about 5 weeks. A little blue-kote wound spray (wear gloves) can help prevent some of the pecking and help it heal. I've found that CX birds raised with heritage birds exercise a lot more and learn to forage better. Best of luck.

Pork Pie and puffypoo22 like this.
  10. GertieGirls Mom

Sep 25, 2018
    Thank you so much for the info and the welcome!
    I do have 4 heritage birds, so I’m happy to hear they will be helpful in raising Gertie.
    I will post some photos of all of them, I have a suspicion that the bully is actually a rooster...for all I know, Gertie may be one also.

rjohns39 and Pork Pie like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: