Hi and HELPPPPP!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by path, Jun 13, 2008.

1. path

path New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    Hi,

First time poster.

7 baby RIR chicks are ordered and due to be delivered on July 22nd. I waited to order them until I thought I knew enough not to kill them on the way home from the post office. When I was placing the order it asked me if I wanted them vaccinated. (Heck, I don't even know enough to get them to the post office in one piece!) I said no vaccines and continued with the ordering process. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Should I get them vaccinated? If I do, will their eggs still be considered organic?

path

2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    [​IMG]
    Not to fret my dear, There are many here with years of wisdom to assist you in your time of need.

I will give you the information I can with my limited mental capacity. [​IMG] I think it is a matter of opinion.
    I raised my chicks from eggs. (meaning never ordered them in mail) None of my chicks are vaccinated, nor do I give them medicated feed.

3. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I vaccinated mine just to feet safer, but I don't know if it's necessary at all? I wouldn't worry. [​IMG]

4. steven11788

steven11788 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    vaccination is no biggy, just a precaution, i vaccinate my games, for show and such. butif they make there safe, and with a good keep they should be fine:)

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Path and welcome to BYC.
    I went back and forth on the vaccinating question for quite awhile before my chicks were shipped. If the hatchery is asking if you want them vaccinated, then they are more than likely talking about vaccinating for Marek's Disease. This is a vaccine that is given on the first day of life. I chose not to because I intend to maintain a "closed flock", meaning any new chicks I get will come from my own chickens. I will not be bringing any new chicks from an outside source into my flock.
    Others have chosen to vaccinate for legitimate reasons of their own.
    At the top of your screen, you wil find a search feature. Type in Marek's Disease and you'll find lots of threads that will allow you to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
    Good luck with your new chicks, when you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by