Hi Everybody!

HeyHouse

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2016
I've been lurking this forum for about 3 years and figured it's about time I get involved.

I live on a small holding in South Africa and have a relatively tiny flock of about 18. 2 of my Boschveld hens just had chicks this morning so I'm feeling excited to chat about chickens ;).

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may hold the record for longest lurker - just kidding. Now that you are official you can participate in many of the contests offered on this site.

Glad to have you
yesss.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have eventually joined us
smile.png
Congrats on your new flock additions - nothing nicer than seeing a mother hen and chicks around the place. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the warmer weather
wink.png

Best wishes
CT

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Had to google what a Boschveld was - what a beautiful breed! We definitely don't have those out here in the US. I always love to see what neat breeds folks overseas have.

Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens. I had to google the Boschvelds as well, but my aren't they pretty! They look like a mix between Swedish Flower hens and Speckled Sussex. Enjoy your time here on BYC!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Cool to see some interest in the Boschveld. It's actually a mix of 3 other native African breeds - Venda, Matabele and Ovambo. They're great for free-range setups because they're bred to be hardy. But they sure are impossible to catch! I can pick up my Rhode Island Red's on demand, but the only way I've managed to catch a Boschveld is if it's cornered inside the coop.

Lovely colors indeed, and also great personalities. There's also enough genetic diversity that I can tell them all apart.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have eventually joined us
smile.png
Congrats on your new flock additions - nothing nicer than seeing a mother hen and chicks around the place. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the warmer weather
wink.png

Best wishes
CT

Got a count today - 12 healthy chicks. 2 eggs were abandoned and I hatched them successfully on my stove :).

Actually it's going to be a chilly night, about 12*C, so I'm a little nervous to leave them with mom.

Back
Top Bottom