Hi everyone, I am new here, and just introducing myself!

About 1 month ago we switched to a new format here on BYC. So I am not 100% sure this page is up to date, but check this page out of tutorials. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-frequently-asked-questions-faq.47654/
OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the help!
Howdy! Just curious...Did your neighbor name his birds? And...and if they didn't, did you start having your own secret names for a bird or two? Sorry this just helps me diagnose the extent of your early stages crazy. 🙃
While I was on vacation, 5 of the birds were killed by raccoons.When I got the news, I had no idea if my favorite, Lil' Chicken ( that's what I called her) had survived. When I got home, I ran straight over there. I had been crying on the drive home because I had assumed she was dead. She was one of the gentler souls in the flock, which meant she was low on the pecking order. She often slept on the outside edges of the group, and I was sure this meant she was one of the easiest targets.
But when I got over there, the first little chicken face I saw was hers. I picked her up and held her for a long time, talking to her in a baby voice. I was so relieved she was alive.
After that, I gave all of them names. There was Scratch, Cluck, Peck, Eyebrows, and Lil' Chicken.
(So yes, I am in one of the late stages of chicken crazy!)

OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

While I was on vacation, 5 of the birds were killed by raccoons.When I got the news, I had no idea if my favorite, Lil' Chicken ( that's what I called her) had survived. When I got home, I ran straight over there. I had been crying on the drive home because I had assumed she was dead. She was one of the gentler souls in the flock, which meant she was low on the pecking order. She often slept on the outside edges of the group, and I was sure this meant she was one of the easiest targets.
But when I got over there, the first little chicken face I saw was hers. I picked her up and held her for a long time, talking to her in a baby voice. I was so relieved she was alive.
After that, I gave all of them names. There was Scratch, Cluck, Peck, Eyebrows, and Lil' Chicken.
(So yes, I am in one of the late stages of chicken crazy!)
Eggcellent! You're no novice. Birds or no birds you are most certainly all in. I loved that story, thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how the moment you open your heart to a chicken they all settle right in? I used to just hear coop sounds. Now I hear conversations full of meaning and feeling. I see loving bonds and jealous rivalries. I'm waaaaay into the delicate nuanced social order of my peeple.
I mourn with them when we lose one and they get that I get them.
When we have predator issues I'm sleeping one eye open outside the coops until it is "solved" and I display my "solution" to them in daylight so they understand its personal to me. Like I said...all in. 🤪

Eggcellent! You're no novice. Birds or no birds you are most certainly all in. I loved that story, thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how the moment you open your heart to a chicken they all settle right in? I used to just hear coop sounds. Now I hear conversations full of meaning and feeling. I see loving bonds and jealous rivalries. I'm waaaaay into the delicate nuanced social order of my peeple.
I mourn with them when we lose one and they get that I get them.
When we have predator issues I'm sleeping one eye open outside the coops until it is "solved" and I display my "solution" to them in daylight so they understand its personal to me. Like I said...all in. 🤪
Same here! I mean, I don’t have a coop to sleep outside of, but I finally realized that the chickens weren’t just making noise because they could, but we’re actually communicating with each other. I can’t believe how long it took me to understand it.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom