Hi everyone!

KeriMK

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Bay Area, California, USA
Hi there! My name is Keri and I'm just getting started with backyard chickens. In fact, I don't even have any yet. We are planning on picking up 3 chicks this Saturday and I'm super excited. I've been dreaming of this project for many years and have been researching seriously for probably 18 months. I'm a librarian, so if there's one thing I can't get enough of, it is research!
We've got the brooder mostly set up, the coop is on the way (I'm sure that will be fun to put together!), and I feel pretty prepared to start this little adventure. I have always loved to keep animals and have had cats, dogs, rats, mice, reptiles, and even a Madagascar millipede in the past. My last furbaby, a bodacious big gray cat named Pele who was my constant companion for 16 years, passed away a couple years ago and I was gutted; it's taken me a while to feel ready to have feathered /furry friends around again but now I can't wait.
I found this site through my research process and have come back to it many times in recent months as we get things ready for our chicks. It has been a huge help, so thank you! I'm excited to be a part of this community and to keep learning.

Take care, stay well!

Keri

Last edited:
:welcome

Hi Keri, it's nice to have you here with us! What breed of chicks are you getting?
There are a few we're considering that will be available on Saturday; I'm leaning toward a Rhode Island Red because I have a friend who's had chickens for a decade and they're her favorite. Also I'd like to try a Blue Copper Maran; I think they are beautiful and love the idea of dark brown eggs. So maybe 2 Rhode Islands and one Maran. I asked the person at the feed store if there were any she would recommend for beginners over others that will be available, and she just said they're all lovely.

Back
Top Bottom