Hi from Scottish Highlands!

calamitykate

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Scotland
I am a newbie to chickens, and am hoping to learn lots about raising chickens in a cold climate, it -12 tonight! I have ten rather sorry looking hens that I got for free, plus their large hen house. I have had my chickens about a month and they are already bursting with health and looking so much better. I am feeding them with layers pellets, grit and mixed corn and they have warm oatmeal and boiled potatoes, and either half a cabbage or other greens twice daily, while the weather is so bad. They live in a 50 mtr enclosure, so pretty much free range, and this will be expanded in the spring by another 50mtr stretch of electric mesh. We live on a farm with 37 acres, and have loads of woodland too, they are currently in a wooded area, with big Scots pine trees all around and lots of brush and scrub to scratch in. Yesterday I found one chicken killing a frog it had found, which it then ate! They are laying approximately 6 eggs per day. Not sure which ones are non- layers, but I ve been told thats good for this time of the year. I have one chicken which apparently seems healthy, runs about and eats well, and lays, but has a very mucky bottom. I dunked her iin a bucket of warm water a week ago and washed her feathers, because I thought it was just mucky from her last home, but she is still got runny poohs. There was a lot of tail feather pecking so some of the chickens, are really bald in the bum area, and have few tail feathers but they are looking better every day. The chickens were starving when I got them, so I guess this was the start of canniballistic behaviour. They are all RIR but with one very large non- laying Suffolk, who isquite old. People have said I should put her in the pot! , but she may make a good broody! I have a young RIR rooster coming next month as I believe its good for chickens to have a male around , that he will help to guard them and lead them to good places to scratch! I also would like to increase my laying hens and eventually produce chickens for meat, just for my hubby and I as I believe we have a moral duty to at least know where our food comes from, and to ensure that any meat animals have a good life and a humane end. I see that as my responsibility, if I wish to eat chicken. I do think it will be difficult for me to do, but I have had to kill injured fledglings before, so I can be quick and accurate. I intend to kill the young birds as roasters, if and when we get get chicks in the Spring.

Hello, calamitykate, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our site! I really like what you wrote - I read it three times! I agree with your philosophy 100%! Best of luck to you..and stay warm!!

Thank you, I hope I will not be too much in the minority, being a chicken eater! but I will be honest. I think I will find it hard to dispatch them, but I must be true to my moral code. I do not like to eat supermarket chickens as I am very aware how they suffer, and I cannot deal with that, so I must choose the alternative or be a vegetarian, which I am afraid would never work. I hate to be a hypocrite too. In the meantime I am enjoying getting back into egg cookery,my hubby who does not eat eggs, had his first Spanish Fritatta, and a leek and goats cheese tart recently, and never had a problem with tasting that "eggy" flavour he hates. I think that is because the eggs were so fresh and also I do not use fish meal like his mother advised me to feed them (hubby won't eat fish either!).

hello again everyone!!! thank you so very much for your warm greetings from all of you in the club. i really do appreciate it very much. it is an honor!!!!!!!!!!! chickens make the best pets!!!!!!!!!! i love them very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone have a very nice weekend too!!!!!!!!!! please if you will or can would you pass this message along to everyone. i thank you again very much, your friend, rennea burgess. lakeland, florida 33805.
frow.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

There are quite a few of us that eat chicken as well as the eggs, and many threads dedicated to raising birds for meat. You came to the right place.

Back
Top Bottom