Hi from the NC Mountains!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sleigh8, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sleigh8

sleigh8 New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    My name is Susan, and I'm a 1.5 yr. backyard chicken veteran. It's been a fun and easy experience up to now. Reading the "How to Introduce New Hens into the Flock" tells me I have been lucky because we've broken every rule about increasing the flock. Fortunately, up to this point, it's all worked out fine. I just added 3 new hens to our existing flock of 5, and am hoping that they will all be fine again. But clearly, I have a lot of learning to do, and I look forward to learning from all of you.
    Current issues: One happy hen who, suddenly, is hoarse and occasionally mouthbreathes (just stared yesterday). I'm guessing Gape Worm or a Cold... there is no distress, she eats, has no discharge from anywhere and seems perfect except for the occasionally gaping mouth and hoarse sounding cluck. Any ideas? Thank you for being here!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! Pleased to hear your enjoying your chicken keeping. Sounds like it could be gape worm. Also I would just check in her beak to make sure she has nothing stuck there I've had it happen before. I would keep an eye on her as much as you can to see what symptoms she is showing. If you feel she is off colour I'm sure posting in the emergencies disease section with full symptoms and description would be of benefit to you https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your future chicken keeping and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & have a happy new year!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your bird![​IMG]

Defiantly check out the link provided by Yorkshire Coop.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Hope your bird is OK.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird! Good luck with her.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen! [​IMG]

9. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    [​IMG] and have a happy new year! I hope your bird gets well soon! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to explore symptoms of gapeworm - just in case. You can put that in the searchbox and see what comes up. I think one way to check is to carefully probe inside the throat with a long q-tip - if it comes out with reddened areas or a worm itself, you have your answer.

My friend lost a mature hen to gapeworms because she felt it just had a cough and was treating it, of all things with a cold relief product for humans. When she found the poor hen dead one morning, she said worms were coming out of her mouth. That was really sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by