HI! Help! I found a Chukar!

Here are a few of the bird. Her/his shoulder looks like more feathers may come out. Picture of feet is because I've readthat only the males have spurs, and I've read that only the females have spurs. Hester (Hector?) has no spurs so this means it's a.....??:hmm

Attachments

• IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2070.jpg
    IMG_2070.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
Here are a few of the bird. Her/his shoulder looks like more feathers may come out. Picture of feet is because I've readthat only the males have spurs, and I've read that only the females have spurs. Hester (Hector?) has no spurs so this means it's a.....??:hmm
I'm guessing a hen, but know nothing about Chukars. With chickens, usually the males have spurs, since they need them in the wild for fighting, and territory protection purposes. I curl easily be wrong.

As for food, I would look into Purina's game bird feeds. The starter and breeder feeds are what I feed my button quail, and the bag has a chart with recommend feed for different species of game birds with chukar included.
It recommends feeding them flight conditioner feed until they begin to lay eggs, then switching to the game bird Breeder Layena.
I also want to add that the chart recommends feeding the game bird starter to chukar until they are 9 to 10 weeks old, although this individual looks older than that to me.
16387632334882049212362547888891.jpg

That bird is at least from this spring, I doubt it needs heat or anything like it. They are high desert game birds, tho the pair I have here in Veneta seem pretty happy next to the swamp hahaha. Hopefully you will get to hear them sing, their singing voices are beautiful. I just feed them regular game bird food or flock raiser, they love cracked corn too

Back
Top Bottom