Hi!! How can I discourage my chickens from pooping on my deck?! Not a big deal, but less poop would

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by unioncampfarm, Oct 16, 2013.

1. unioncampfarm

unioncampfarm New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Suffolk, Virginia
    After months of reading stuff on this site I finally joined! Ok, so the addiction started with 3 serama roosters someone gave to my young kids last November. My family and I now have 24 birds total. Buff Orphingtons, Ameracaunas, Silver Phoenix, Sweetgrass Turkeys and the original Seramas. They lay eggs for us, eat bugs out of our gardens and pastures and we eat the extra roosters. Until the 'day' arrives we do treat them as pets-so they get treats, get petted on and picked up (including the roos). Everybody except the Seramas run totally free range and go into their coop only at night or when they feel the need to poop inside. ;)
    So... they wait for us outside on the deck where the BBQ is (kinda creepy if you think about what we're cooking) and beyond that is where we park, so I'm tripping over overzealously friendly chickens while carrying little kids/groceries etc. Is there anything I can do other than sweep the deck daily? I realize this behavior is probably totally ingrained at this point. They even perch on the window sills and talk to whoever is in the farm office on the first floor! It's cute, but the poop isn't. Any advice is appreciated & if it can't be fixed, sweeping the deck off will just stay on the kids' chore list.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Unfortunately I don't think you can train chickens, you can try fencing off the deck/areas you don't want them to be in or you may need to build a big run for them and keep them locked up :( good luck to you.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Agree it is going to be pretty hard to train the chickens to just stay off the deck permanently. Fencing off the deck is probably the easiest option. I have heard of using motion activated sprinklers, that might be something to try, though that maybe as much of a nuisance as the chicken poop.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The only way to keep the poop off the deck would be to keep the chickens off the deck :)

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you give them treats near the deck, that may be why they congregate there. If so, give them their treats only in an area far away from your deck, so there is one major reason not to lie in wait for you. Good luck.

7. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Give it up and call it your poop deck. We hose ours off when we're expecting company. Otherwise we figure it just comes with the territory--chicken poop for the soul.

1 person likes this.
  8. unioncampfarm

unioncampfarm New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Haha! Thanks all for your guidance. I've figured it just comes along with the territory at this point. Although the sprinklers would be pretty funny, but I think it'd probably scare off my littlest kids too. Unfortunately the deck is already enclosed in the yard's picket fence, but on the funnier side, my husband is in the navy so perhaps we'll just call it the 'poop deck' like one of you suggested. ;)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by