Hi, How do I keep my chicks from eating grass seed?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by murphysmenagerie, Aug 19, 2011.

1. murphysmenagerie

murphysmenagerie New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Hi again, I am the newbie with Alpacas/Donkey/dogs/30 chickens/2 roosters and I am trying to rotate pastures in the next couple of weeks. That also 'assumes' that the chickens will follow the Alpacas and the 'donk' while I try to reseed/fertilize the areas that the bigger critters were on. I know that when I tried to use 'filler seed' for grass, the chickens were more than happy to consume it... Is there a safe product/good way (short of confining them to a coop) to keep them off the areas that I want to revitalize for lack of a better term? Thanks and have a great day!

2. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. the best way to keep them away is to stack out a mountain lion in the middle of the area. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Interesting... didn't know that chickens would eat grass seed. Most wild birds won't eat it.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC. I know what your talking about, the chickens love eating the grass seed! I have the same problem and I'm sorry to say I haven't found away to stop them! I hope some one has some ideas?

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] From Mass!

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Burlap or dirt over top of seed and encourage them to scratch elsewhere. Even chicken wire unrolled will stop them scratching but allow grass to grow up.

7. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good luck, it is not easy keeping chickens out of anything that they love to be in. [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY. theres no easy way to keep chickens away from grass seed it's like cat nip to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by