Hi, How do I keep my chicks from eating grass seed?

murphysmenagerie

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Hi again, I am the newbie with Alpacas/Donkey/dogs/30 chickens/2 roosters and I am trying to rotate pastures in the next couple of weeks. That also 'assumes' that the chickens will follow the Alpacas and the 'donk' while I try to reseed/fertilize the areas that the bigger critters were on. I know that when I tried to use 'filler seed' for grass, the chickens were more than happy to consume it... Is there a safe product/good way (short of confining them to a coop) to keep them off the areas that I want to revitalize for lack of a better term? Thanks and have a great day!

Hi from Ga.

97415_100_0555.jpg

WELCOME ABOARD. the best way to keep them away is to stack out a mountain lion in the middle of the area.
lau.gif
gig.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi, welcome to BYC. I know what your talking about, the chickens love eating the grass seed! I have the same problem and I'm sorry to say I haven't found away to stop them! I hope some one has some ideas?

Burlap or dirt over top of seed and encourage them to scratch elsewhere. Even chicken wire unrolled will stop them scratching but allow grass to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom